Quantcast

[aerogear-dev] loooong WAR file name for jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile

[aerogear-dev] loooong WAR file name for jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile

Matthias Wessendorf
Hello,

The WAR file name for the ' jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile'
artifact is pretty long.
Not a big deal on a 'computer', but on a phone... that's hard to type :)

why not just changing the name of the WAR file ?

Why, not changing the 'finalName' value (see [1]) to something 'smaller'.

Suggestion -> 'html5-mobile'

So the WAR file would be named html5-mobile.war, which is IMO way
better to type, at least on a mobile device :)

Thoughts?

-M

[1] https://github.com/aerogear/as-quickstarts/blob/master/kitchensink-html5-mobile/pom.xml#L165

Re: [aerogear-dev] loooong WAR file name for jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile

Jay Balunas

On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:25 PM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The WAR file name for the ' jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile'
> artifact is pretty long.
> Not a big deal on a 'computer', but on a phone... that's hard to type :)
>
> why not just changing the name of the WAR file ?
>
> Why, not changing the 'finalName' value (see [1]) to something 'smaller'.
>
> Suggestion -> 'html5-mobile'
>
> So the WAR file would be named html5-mobile.war, which is IMO way
> better to type, at least on a mobile device :)
>
> Thoughts?

The name is part of the JDF quickstart conventions.  I agree it is certainly not ideal.  AeroGear's own examples will not be like that.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Jay Balunas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:25 PM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The WAR file name for the ' jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile'
>> artifact is pretty long.
>> Not a big deal on a 'computer', but on a phone... that's hard to type :)
>>
>> why not just changing the name of the WAR file ?
>>
>> Why, not changing the 'finalName' value (see [1]) to something 'smaller'.
>>
>> Suggestion -> 'html5-mobile'
>>
>> So the WAR file would be named html5-mobile.war, which is IMO way
>> better to type, at least on a mobile device :)
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> The name is part of the JDF quickstart conventions.  I agree it is certainly not ideal.  AeroGear's own examples will not be like that.

Perhaps a 'lazy' profile ? :)

-Matthias

>> -M
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/aerogear/as-quickstarts/blob/master/kitchensink-html5-mobile/pom.xml#L165
>>
>> --
>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] loooong WAR file name for jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile

Pete Muir
You must use the maven artifactid or the default final name as the war final name as otherwise you will break JBoss Tools and m2e.

This is a long outstanding issue with JBoss Tools.

On 22 Aug 2012, at 19:32, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Jay Balunas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:25 PM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The WAR file name for the ' jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile'
>>> artifact is pretty long.
>>> Not a big deal on a 'computer', but on a phone... that's hard to type :)
>>>
>>> why not just changing the name of the WAR file ?
>>>
>>> Why, not changing the 'finalName' value (see [1]) to something 'smaller'.
>>>
>>> Suggestion -> 'html5-mobile'
>>>
>>> So the WAR file would be named html5-mobile.war, which is IMO way
>>> better to type, at least on a mobile device :)
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> The name is part of the JDF quickstart conventions.  I agree it is certainly not ideal.  AeroGear's own examples will not be like that.

Well then I would suggest we try to address it for all projects, rather than creating silos.

> Perhaps a 'lazy' profile ? :)
>
> -Matthias
>

>>> -M
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/aerogear/as-quickstarts/blob/master/kitchensink-html5-mobile/pom.xml#L165
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] loooong WAR file name for jboss-as-kitchensink-html5-mobile

Pete Muir
BTW this does form part of the TAG-16 requirements for project examples which should be followed by all projects.

On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Pete Muir wrote:

> You must use the maven artifactid or the default final name as the war final name as otherwise you will break JBoss Tools and m2e.
>
> This is a long outstanding issue with JBoss Tools.

Iirc you can still override with web.xml setting through - correct?

> On 22 Aug 2012, at 19:32, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

>>> The name is part of the JDF quickstart conventions.  I agree it is certainly not ideal.  AeroGear's own examples will not be like that.
>>>

> Well then I would suggest we try to address it for all projects, rather than creating silos.

Right, which is why for the quickstart and archetypes we're sticking to convention.  AeroGear's own examples can use what ever naming scheme is best suited for it.

I would certainly second an attempt to simplify the quickstart naming, but don't have time to push it.

On 22 Aug 2012, at 19:40, Jay Balunas wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> You must use the maven artifactid or the default final name as the war final name as otherwise you will break JBoss Tools and m2e.
>>
>> This is a long outstanding issue with JBoss Tools.
>
> Iirc you can still override with web.xml setting through - correct?

No, the context root *must* be the same as the artifact id. I agree, it's a pita.

>> Well then I would suggest we try to address it for all projects, rather than creating silos.
>
> Right, which is why for the quickstart and archetypes we're sticking to convention.  AeroGear's own examples can use what ever naming scheme is best suited for it.

Well, they really should follow the general conventions we use JBoss wide, this is discussed as I mentioned in TAG-16, which applies to all projects.

> I would certainly second an attempt to simplify the quickstart naming, but don't have time to push it.

Well, even just raising it as an issue would be a good start. As Matthias says, this isn't great on a mobile, which wasn't raised when the original guidelines were written.

Matthias, can you please raise a TAG issue so we can *all* be mobile friendly, not just aerogear. You can assign the issue to me.

On Aug 23, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2012, at 19:40, Jay Balunas wrote:
>

>> On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>>
>>> You must use the maven artifactid or the default final name as the war final name as otherwise you will break JBoss Tools and m2e.
>>>
>>> This is a long outstanding issue with JBoss Tools.
>>
>> Iirc you can still override with web.xml setting through - correct?
>
> No, the context root *must* be the same as the artifact id. I agree, it's a pita.

>>> Well then I would suggest we try to address it for all projects, rather than creating silos.
>>
>> Right, which is why for the quickstart and archetypes we're sticking to convention.  AeroGear's own examples can use what ever naming scheme is best suited for it.
>
> Well, they really should follow the general conventions we use JBoss wide, this is discussed as I mentioned in TAG-16, which applies to all projects.

I just did a quick look through TAG-16 (and the resolution doc), but there does not seem to be any mention of naming conventions at all.  Maybe I'm missing it...

>> I would certainly second an attempt to simplify the quickstart naming, but don't have time to push it.
>
> Well, even just raising it as an issue would be a good start. As Matthias says, this isn't great on a mobile, which wasn't raised when the original guidelines were written.

Honestly imo, I don't think we should defining/enforcing naming conventions for examples across projects.  JDF is another matter as you're going for consistency across quickstarts, but I don't think that ticket monster should be "jboss-as-errai-html5-jsf-ticket-monster" :-)

> Matthias, can you please raise a TAG issue so we can *all* be mobile friendly, not just aerogear. You can assign the issue to me.

I would just recommend adding it as a note for consideration - i.e. shorting application names make accessing examples from mobile devices easier.

On 23 Aug 2012, at 18:21, Jay Balunas wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

>>> Iirc you can still override with web.xml setting through - correct?
>>
>> No, the context root *must* be the same as the artifact id. I agree, it's a pita.

>>> Right, which is why for the quickstart and archetypes we're sticking to convention.  AeroGear's own examples can use what ever naming scheme is best suited for it.
>>
>> Well, they really should follow the general conventions we use JBoss wide, this is discussed as I mentioned in TAG-16, which applies to all projects.
>
> I just did a quick look through TAG-16 (and the resolution doc), but there does not seem to be any mention of naming conventions at all.  Maybe I'm missing it...

Sorry, I meant about the Eclipse issue.

>>> I would certainly second an attempt to simplify the quickstart naming, but don't have time to push it.
>>
>> Well, even just raising it as an issue would be a good start. As Matthias says, this isn't great on a mobile, which wasn't raised when the original guidelines were written.
>
> Honestly imo, I don't think we should defining/enforcing naming conventions for examples across projects.  JDF is another matter as you're going for consistency across quickstarts, but I don't think that ticket monster should be "jboss-as-errai-html5-jsf-ticket-monster" :-)

The convention I refer to is making the artifact id the same as the context root.

I disagree about consistency in naming. A lot of people look to our examples for best practice, and if we don't have consistency, understanding the best practice is hard.

>> Matthias, can you please raise a TAG issue so we can *all* be mobile friendly, not just aerogear. You can assign the issue to me.
>
> I would just recommend adding it as a note for consideration - i.e. shorting application names make accessing examples from mobile devices easier.

Ok. It's on my todo to update the doc unless you get there faster.