[aerogear-dev] [license headers] Applying the license to new software

[aerogear-dev] [license headers] Applying the license to new software

Matthias Wessendorf
Hello,

looking at different sources, I noticed that some files contain the
licenses headers and some not.

At Apache we had the 'rule' that every file should have a license
header, this would also include build scripts, like pom.xml files.

For more information see:
- http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new
- http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

I'd like to establish the same 'pattern' for the AeroGear project -
however I am not sure if there is a similar (or even different) rule
with JBoss/Red Hat.

thanks!

Re: [aerogear-dev] [license headers] Applying the license to new software

Pete Muir
The advice from Red Hat legal is that whilst it's nice to have headers on every file, including build scripts, POMs etc. it's not a requirement, as long as you have a LICENSE.txt somewhere.

I think it makes sense to either have them, or not, and typically JBoss projects do have them. Ironically, I'm one of the worst culprits at not putting them on!

On 20 Sep 2012, at 12:19, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> looking at different sources, I noticed that some files contain the
> licenses headers and some not.
>
> At Apache we had the 'rule' that every file should have a license
> header, this would also include build scripts, like pom.xml files.
>
> For more information see:
> - http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new
> - http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
>

> I'd like to establish the same 'pattern' for the AeroGear project -
> however I am not sure if there is a similar (or even different) rule
> with JBoss/Red Hat.
>
> thanks!
> Matthias

Re: [aerogear-dev] [license headers] Applying the license to new software

Matthias Wessendorf
anyone else ?!