[aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

[aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

Matthias Wessendorf
Hello,

I created a gist, describing the common 'interface' for any storage
system: AGStore...
The FIRST version is located at [1]; Pretty sure, over time new
functions may follow...

The first (->default) implementation will be (like in JavaScript land)
an 'in memory' store. The name (will not be exposed) will be
'AGMemoryStorage'...

The creation of a concrete 'AGStore' impl is hidden with the
AGDataManager 'factory'. Like in JavaScript land it will have simple
management APIs, like 'add', 'remove' or 'get', to add,remove or get a
store out of the 'data manager'.

-Matthias

[1] https://gist.github.com/3756911

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

Matthias Wessendorf
The mentioned AGDataManager interface is located here:

https://gist.github.com/3757190

Feedback welcome!

-M

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I created a gist, describing the common 'interface' for any storage
> system: AGStore...
> The FIRST version is located at [1]; Pretty sure, over time new
> functions may follow...
>
> The first (->default) implementation will be (like in JavaScript land)
> an 'in memory' store. The name (will not be exposed) will be
> 'AGMemoryStorage'...
>

> The creation of a concrete 'AGStore' impl is hidden with the
> AGDataManager 'factory'. Like in JavaScript land it will have simple
> management APIs, like 'add', 'remove' or 'get', to add,remove or get a
> store out of the 'data manager'.
>

> -Matthias
>

> [1] https://gist.github.com/3756911

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

Matthias Wessendorf
Here is a little gist, that shows how to use the storage with a pipe...

https://gist.github.com/3757841

-M

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The mentioned AGDataManager interface is located here:
>

> https://gist.github.com/3757190
>

> Feedback welcome!
>
> -M
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I created a gist, describing the common 'interface' for any storage
>> system: AGStore...
>> The FIRST version is located at [1]; Pretty sure, over time new
>> functions may follow...
>>
>> The first (->default) implementation will be (like in JavaScript land)
>> an 'in memory' store. The name (will not be exposed) will be
>> 'AGMemoryStorage'...
>>

>> The creation of a concrete 'AGStore' impl is hidden with the
>> AGDataManager 'factory'. Like in JavaScript land it will have simple
>> management APIs, like 'add', 'remove' or 'get', to add,remove or get a
>> store out of the 'data manager'.
>>

>> -Matthias
>>

>> [1] https://gist.github.com/3756911
>>
>> --
>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

Matthias Wessendorf
updated docs are here:

https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/blob/datamanager/AeroGear-iOS/AeroGear-iOS/AGStore.h

-M

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a little gist, that shows how to use the storage with a pipe...
>
> https://gist.github.com/3757841
>
> -M
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The mentioned AGDataManager interface is located here:
>>

>> https://gist.github.com/3757190
>>

>> Feedback welcome!
>>
>> -M
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I created a gist, describing the common 'interface' for any storage
>>> system: AGStore...
>>> The FIRST version is located at [1]; Pretty sure, over time new
>>> functions may follow...
>>>
>>> The first (->default) implementation will be (like in JavaScript land)
>>> an 'in memory' store. The name (will not be exposed) will be
>>> 'AGMemoryStorage'...
>>>

>>> The creation of a concrete 'AGStore' impl is hidden with the
>>> AGDataManager 'factory'. Like in JavaScript land it will have simple
>>> management APIs, like 'add', 'remove' or 'get', to add,remove or get a
>>> store out of the 'data manager'.
>>>

>>> -Matthias
>>>

>>> [1] https://gist.github.com/3756911
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

danielbevenius
Hey Matthias,

looks nice I think!
I've not yet had time to look closer at the JavaScript implementation of the datamanager but I've got that on my list

One question about AGStore.h, what would the reset method be used for? I noticed the removeAll method so it was not obvious to me what the use case for reset would be.

Thanks,

/Daniel

On 20 September 2012 21:30, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
updated docs are here:

https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/blob/datamanager/AeroGear-iOS/AeroGear-iOS/AGStore.h

-M

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here is a little gist, that shows how to use the storage with a pipe...
>
> https://gist.github.com/3757841
>
> -M
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The mentioned AGDataManager interface is located here:
>>

>> https://gist.github.com/3757190
>>

>> Feedback welcome!
>>
>> -M
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I created a gist, describing the common 'interface' for any storage
>>> system: AGStore...
>>> The FIRST version is located at [1]; Pretty sure, over time new
>>> functions may follow...
>>>
>>> The first (->default) implementation will be (like in JavaScript land)
>>> an 'in memory' store. The name (will not be exposed) will be
>>> 'AGMemoryStorage'...
>>>

>>> The creation of a concrete 'AGStore' impl is hidden with the
>>> AGDataManager 'factory'. Like in JavaScript land it will have simple
>>> management APIs, like 'add', 'remove' or 'get', to add,remove or get a
>>> store out of the 'data manager'.
>>>

>>> -Matthias
>>>

>>> [1] https://gist.github.com/3756911
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

Matthias Wessendorf
The save() in JavaScript land has a 'reset' argument. On IRC we
already had a discussion about that being an argument on the save VS
having an explicit rest function.

In JavaScript, if you call myStore.remove(someObjc) it tries to delete
just that guy. If you pass no argument at all (-> myStore.remove()) it
clears the store; like the reset does..

I will get rid of the removeAll in my API

-Matthias

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Daniel Bevenius
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Matthias,
>
> looks nice I think!
> I've not yet had time to look closer at the JavaScript implementation of the
> datamanager but I've got that on my list
>
> One question about AGStore.h, what would the reset method be used for? I
> noticed the removeAll method so it was not obvious to me what the use case
> for reset would be.
>
> Thanks,
>
> /Daniel
>
> On 20 September 2012 21:30, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> updated docs are here:
>>

>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/blob/datamanager/AeroGear-iOS/AeroGear-iOS/AGStore.h
>>
>> -M
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Here is a little gist, that shows how to use the storage with a pipe...
>> >
>> > https://gist.github.com/3757841
>> >
>> > -M

>> > --
>> > Matthias Wessendorf
>> >
>> > blog: http://matthiaswessendorf.wordpress.com/
>> > sessions: http://www.slideshare.net/mwessendorf
>> > twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf
>>

>> --
>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

Matthias Wessendorf
hello,

thanks for the feedback - will continue the discussed route.

-Matthias

https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/pull/8

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
>
> thanks for the feedback - will continue the discussed route.
>
> -Matthias
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The save() in JavaScript land has a 'reset' argument. On IRC we
>> already had a discussion about that being an argument on the save VS
>> having an explicit rest function.
>>
>> In JavaScript, if you call myStore.remove(someObjc) it tries to delete
>> just that guy. If you pass no argument at all (-> myStore.remove()) it
>> clears the store; like the reset does..
>>
>> I will get rid of the removeAll in my API
>>
>> -Matthias
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Daniel Bevenius
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hey Matthias,
>>>
>>> looks nice I think!
>>> I've not yet had time to look closer at the JavaScript implementation of the
>>> datamanager but I've got that on my list
>>>
>>> One question about AGStore.h, what would the reset method be used for? I
>>> noticed the removeAll method so it was not obvious to me what the use case
>>> for reset would be.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> /Daniel

>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] DataManager: Storage 'interface'

I merge the code into main.

I also updated the API docs:

http://aerogear.github.com/aerogear-ios/

-M