[aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

[aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Matthias Wessendorf
Hello,

this is the first design of the AGAuthenticationModule and its
AGAuthenticationManager class. Initial design is based on the JS
API...

The AGAuthenticationManager class is responsible to create and store
different 'Auth Modules' for an iOS Application. The interface is
posted here:
https://gist.github.com/3833331

Each 'module' is represented by an implementation of the
AGAuthenticationModule protocol. The first(default) implementation is
done by using RESTful endpoints... (like in JavaScript land). The
protocol draft is located here:
https://gist.github.com/3833333

How does all work together ? I have posted a simple API usage document:
https://gist.github.com/3833597

Right now, I am weaving the AGAuthenticationModule into the 'pipe'
API, so that 'read' etc work, against protected endpoints.

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Matthias Wessendorf
updated with 'enroll'

-M

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this is the first design of the AGAuthenticationModule and its
> AGAuthenticationManager class. Initial design is based on the JS
> API...
>
> The AGAuthenticationManager class is responsible to create and store
> different 'Auth Modules' for an iOS Application. The interface is
> posted here:
> https://gist.github.com/3833331
>
> Each 'module' is represented by an implementation of the
> AGAuthenticationModule protocol. The first(default) implementation is
> done by using RESTful endpoints... (like in JavaScript land). The
> protocol draft is located here:
> https://gist.github.com/3833333
>
> How does all work together ? I have posted a simple API usage document:
> https://gist.github.com/3833597
>

> Right now, I am weaving the AGAuthenticationModule into the 'pipe'
> API, so that 'read' etc work, against protected endpoints.
>

> -Matthias

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Elmar Kretzer
Hi Matze, =)

quite fast enroll of the first API version - congratulations.

I just had a quick look at your gists - and i then i stumbled upon the method with 2 blocks.

It`s more like a personal flavor thing but sometimes methods with 2 block params can look quite disturbing. So i tend to use up to 3 params if necessary.

I forked your gist for better explanation: https://gist.github.com/3838469

As i said - it`s really more a personal flavor thing - don`t mind.
So keep up the work - going to have a deeper look and if i got time i will make a test.

Cheers Elmar

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Elmar Kretzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Matze, =)
>
> quite fast enroll of the first API version - congratulations.

it's the third :)
our Pipe API is already here:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/blob/master/API.md

The datamanager proposal is here:
http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-iOS-DataManager-Storage-interface-tt300.html

> I just had a quick look at your gists - and i then i stumbled upon the
> method with 2 blocks.
>
> It`s more like a personal flavor thing but sometimes methods with 2 block
> params can look quite disturbing. So i tend to use up to 3 params if
> necessary.

I was following the pattern from the AFNetworking folks, since I used
that underneath our 'http communication' facility;
(see pipeline/pipe API)

I think I generally don't mind one single block - but instead of
completion, I'd prefer completionHandler :)
Not sure...

> I forked your gist for better explanation: https://gist.github.com/3838469
>
> As i said - it`s really more a personal flavor thing - don`t mind.
> So keep up the work - going to have a deeper look and if i got time i will
> make a test.

Elmar, thanks for the feedback

-Matthias

> Cheers Elmar

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Matthias Wessendorf
Hey,

I tend to continue using two callbacks: One for 'success' and one for
the error case.

Any objections?

Greetings,
Matthias

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Elmar Kretzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Matze, =)
>>
>> quite fast enroll of the first API version - congratulations.
>
> it's the third :)
> our Pipe API is already here:
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/blob/master/API.md
>
> The datamanager proposal is here:
> http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-iOS-DataManager-Storage-interface-tt300.html
>

>> I just had a quick look at your gists - and i then i stumbled upon the
>> method with 2 blocks.
>>
>> It`s more like a personal flavor thing but sometimes methods with 2 block
>> params can look quite disturbing. So i tend to use up to 3 params if
>> necessary.
>
> I was following the pattern from the AFNetworking folks, since I used
> that underneath our 'http communication' facility;
> (see pipeline/pipe API)
>

> I think I generally don't mind one single block - but instead of
> completion, I'd prefer completionHandler :)
> Not sure...
>

>> I forked your gist for better explanation: https://gist.github.com/3838469
>>
>> As i said - it`s really more a personal flavor thing - don`t mind.
>> So keep up the work - going to have a deeper look and if i got time i will
>> make a test.
>

> Elmar, thanks for the feedback
>

> -Matthias
>

>> Cheers Elmar

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

cvasilak
Hi,

For what is worth, I prefer the current approach with the two callbacks. Kind of more familiar with that pattern.

Regards,
Christos

On 6 Οκτ 2012, at 1:51 μ.μ., Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I tend to continue using two callbacks: One for 'success' and one for
> the error case.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Greetings,
> Matthias
>
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Elmar Kretzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Matze, =)
>>>
>>> quite fast enroll of the first API version - congratulations.
>>
>> it's the third :)
>> our Pipe API is already here:
>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/blob/master/API.md
>>
>> The datamanager proposal is here:
>> http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-iOS-DataManager-Storage-interface-tt300.html
>>

>>> I just had a quick look at your gists - and i then i stumbled upon the
>>> method with 2 blocks.
>>>
>>> It`s more like a personal flavor thing but sometimes methods with 2 block
>>> params can look quite disturbing. So i tend to use up to 3 params if
>>> necessary.
>>
>> I was following the pattern from the AFNetworking folks, since I used
>> that underneath our 'http communication' facility;
>> (see pipeline/pipe API)
>>

>> I think I generally don't mind one single block - but instead of
>> completion, I'd prefer completionHandler :)
>> Not sure...
>>

>>> I forked your gist for better explanation: https://gist.github.com/3838469
>>>
>>> As i said - it`s really more a personal flavor thing - don`t mind.
>>> So keep up the work - going to have a deeper look and if i got time i will
>>> make a test.
>>

>> Elmar, thanks for the feedback
>>

>> -Matthias
>>

>>> Cheers Elmar
>>>

>>> --

>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Matthias Wessendorf
any other comments ?

-M

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Christos Vasilakis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For what is worth, I prefer the current approach with the two callbacks. Kind of more familiar with that pattern.
>
> Regards,
> Christos
>
> On 6 Οκτ 2012, at 1:51 μ.μ., Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I tend to continue using two callbacks: One for 'success' and one for
>> the error case.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Matthias

>>> it's the third :)
>>> our Pipe API is already here:
>>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/blob/master/API.md
>>>
>>> The datamanager proposal is here:
>>> http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-iOS-DataManager-Storage-interface-tt300.html

>>> I was following the pattern from the AFNetworking folks, since I used
>>> that underneath our 'http communication' facility;
>>> (see pipeline/pipe API)
>>>

>>> I think I generally don't mind one single block - but instead of
>>> completion, I'd prefer completionHandler :)
>>> Not sure...

>>> Elmar, thanks for the feedback
>>>

>>> -Matthias

>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Matthias Wessendorf
Quick update... I slightly changed the AuthModule protocol, by
exposing two properties:
- url (against where the auth module is mapped)
- type (e.g. REST etc)

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> any other comments ?
>
> -M
>
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Christos Vasilakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For what is worth, I prefer the current approach with the two callbacks. Kind of more familiar with that pattern.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christos
>>
>> On 6 Οκτ 2012, at 1:51 μ.μ., Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> I tend to continue using two callbacks: One for 'success' and one for
>>> the error case.
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Matthias

>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Kris Borchers

On Oct 8, 2012, at 8:02 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quick update... I slightly changed the AuthModule protocol, by
> exposing two properties:
> - url (against where the auth module is mapped)

Wouldn't you want to use baseURL and endpoint instead? That is what I have done for all of my rest adapters so far.

On Oct 8, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Kris Borchers wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2012, at 8:02 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Quick update... I slightly changed the AuthModule protocol, by
>> exposing two properties:
>> - url (against where the auth module is mapped)
>
> Wouldn't you want to use baseURL and endpoint instead? That is what I have done for all of my rest adapters so far.
I prefer that too

-- qmx

On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:49 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> any other comments ?
Overall I like it, except from my last comment on url vs baseURL ….

> -M
>
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Christos Vasilakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For what is worth, I prefer the current approach with the two callbacks. Kind of more familiar with that pattern.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christos
>>
>> On 6 Οκτ 2012, at 1:51 μ.μ., Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> I tend to continue using two callbacks: One for 'success' and one for
>>> the error case.
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Matthias

>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

-- qmx

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

thanks !

did update, we now have (besides the type) these properties:
- baseURL
- loginEndpoint
- logoutEndpoint
- enroleEndpoint

On Oct 8, 2012, at 10:11 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> thanks !
>
> did update, we now have (besides the type) these properties:
> - baseURL
> - loginEndpoint
> - logoutEndpoint
> - enroleEndpoint
English nit, enrollEndpoint?

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Kris Borchers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 8, 2012, at 8:02 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Quick update... I slightly changed the AuthModule protocol, by
>>> exposing two properties:
>>> - url (against where the auth module is mapped)
>>
>> Wouldn't you want to use baseURL and endpoint instead? That is what I have done for all of my rest adapters so far.
>>
>>> - type (e.g. REST etc)
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/3833333
>>>
>>> -M

>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

-- qmx

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Matthias Wessendorf
lol :-)

Brain still in soccer stadium? ;-)

On Monday, October 8, 2012, Douglas Campos wrote:

On Oct 8, 2012, at 10:11 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> thanks !
>
> did update, we now have (besides the type) these properties:
> - baseURL
> - loginEndpoint
> - logoutEndpoint
> - enroleEndpoint
English nit, enrollEndpoint?

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Kris Borchers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 8, 2012, at 8:02 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Quick update... I slightly changed the AuthModule protocol, by
>>> exposing two properties:
>>> - url (against where the auth module is mapped)
>>
>> Wouldn't you want to use baseURL and endpoint instead? That is what I have done for all of my rest adapters so far.
>>
>>> - type (e.g. REST etc)
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/3833333
>>>
>>> -M

Sent from Gmail Mobile

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> lol :-)
>
> Brain still in soccer stadium? ;-)
>

> On Monday, October 8, 2012, Douglas Campos wrote:
>>

>> On Oct 8, 2012, at 10:11 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>>
>> > thanks !
>> >
>> > did update, we now have (besides the type) these properties:
>> > - baseURL
>> > - loginEndpoint
>> > - logoutEndpoint
>> > - enroleEndpoint

> Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [aerogear-dev] [iOS] Auth: API for login, signup and logout

Matthias Wessendorf
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios/pull/12

-M