[aerogear-dev] beta project site feedback

[aerogear-dev] beta project site feedback

mojavelinux
I've collected some feedback for the Aerogear beta project site that I would like to share. Before I get to it, though, I want to say great job overall with the site! It gives the impression of a strong, focus and active project. The fact that it has a responsive design all gives the project credibility in its field ;)

I'll start with my feedback:

I'm not sure about the tagline: JBoss Focused Resources for Mobile and HTML5

This is how the confusion around the JBoss name gets reinforced. What is "JBoss" in this context? This logline seems to paint the project into a corner with a term that is both overly-vague and overly-specific, depending on how you define the term.

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but here are some suggestions:

- Middleware-focused resources for Mobile and HTML5
- A backend solution for your mobile and HTML5 apps
- Uniting the power of the server with the flexibility of mobile and HTML5

(you'll see later that Joe has much better ideas than mine).

Here is feedback from Jason Brooks, long time editor in chief of eWeeks Labs, now working for the (shadow) man in the open source and standards group.

Like Dan, the tagline is what stood out most for me. I felt like I had to spend a moment processing what that meant. Gives the impression that this is principally about JBoss, rather than about solving some problem. With that said, there are a lot of indications on the page of what this is about, and I like the various links to the code.

The page is pretty packed with content, but all together it gives me the info I was looking for.

Here is feedback from Joe Ottinger, former editor in chief of JDJ and theserverside.com, also a member of the open source and standards team:

My main thought is that "gear to get you mobile on jboss" is a better tagline - and it's de-emphasized on the page.

The JBoss Focused Resources for Mobile... shouldn't that be:

A) JBoss-Focused... (note hyphen)
B) Better?

At any rate, the color there doesn't really attract the eye enough to matter a lot - it looks like  a throwaway tag, and so it is.

The biggest problem is that the "gear to get you mobile on jboss" is the best tagline, and it's not emphasized enough, and it could be better, too. The problem is that "gear" is catchy and "developer tools" is not.

Seems to me like the simplest revision might be to follow Joe's advice and swap in "Gear to get you mobile on JBoss" as the main tagline and change the color so that it pops.

The tougher question is whether saying "JBoss" gives enough context to understand what Aerogear is providing. If the diagram is accurate, perhaps you should just say JBoss AS (implying that things that work with JBoss AS will work as well). You could also consider putting an FAQ somewhere beyond the front page that explains what exactly "JBoss" entails.

Again, great work on the site!

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597

Re: [aerogear-dev] beta project site feedback

Kris Borchers
Dan and others,

Thank you to all of you for your feedback. We were also unsure about the tagline and just the other day decided to change it to "Open-Source Libraries for Mobile Connectivity". I would be interested to hear any feedback you might have on that wording as well.

Thanks!
Kris

On Sep 26, 2012, at 8:51 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

AeroGearHeads,

[...]

Matthias Wessendorf
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Kris Borchers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dan and others,
>
> Thank you to all of you for your feedback.

+1

> We were also unsure about the
> tagline and just the other day decided to change it to "Open-Source
> Libraries for Mobile Connectivity". I would be interested to hear any
> feedback you might have on that wording as well.

+1 that was the wording after some thinking during our team meeting

-M

> [...]
> swap in "Gear to get you mobile on JBoss" as the main tagline and change the
> color so that it pops.
>
> The tougher question is whether saying "JBoss" gives enough context to
> understand what Aerogear is providing. If the diagram is accurate, perhaps
> you should just say JBoss AS (implying that things that work with JBoss AS
> will work as well). You could also consider putting an FAQ somewhere beyond
> the front page that explains what exactly "JBoss" entails.
>
> Again, great work on the site!
>
> -Dan
>
> --
> Dan Allen
> Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
> Registered Linux User #231597
>
> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
> http://mojavelinux.com
> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction

Re: [aerogear-dev] beta project site feedback

Kris Borchers wrote
Dan and others,

Thank you to all of you for your feedback. We were also unsure about the tagline and just the other day decided to change it to "Open-Source Libraries for Mobile Connectivity". I would be interested to hear any feedback you might have on that wording as well.

Thanks!
Kris
Kris and Matthias,

I noticed the new tagline as soon as I came back to the site to check on the replies.

I agree, that's a much better tagline. In our minds, we often want to include all the details to be as accurate as possible. However, to someone looking for a software library, they have a much higher-level need in mind. Thus, having a tagline like "open source libraries for mobile connectivity" keeps it simple enough to be sticky while still capturing the library's focus.

At first I was going to suggest reintroducing HTML5 in the tagline, but then I realized that allowing that to be implied works much better. While HTML5 is certainly relevant on the desktop, it really impacts the mobile experience and hence it's reasonable to assume that if you say "mobile", then HTML5 must be nearby.

Just one small thing, I would recommend dropping the hyphen in "open source". I'm pretty certain it's right either way, so dropping it here just makes it cleaner.

Cheers,

-Dan

Re: [aerogear-dev] beta project site feedback

Kris Borchers-2
Thanks again Dan. Responses inline.

> Thank you to all of you for your feedback. We were also unsure about the
> tagline and just the other day decided to change it to "Open-Source
> Libraries for Mobile Connectivity". I would be interested to hear any
> feedback you might have on that wording as well.
>
> Thanks!
> Kris

Kris and Matthias,

I noticed the new tagline as soon as I came back to the site to check on the
replies.

I agree, that's a much better tagline. In our minds, we often want to
include all the details to be as accurate as possible. However, to someone
looking for a software library, they have a much higher-level need in mind.
Thus, having a tagline like "open source libraries for mobile connectivity"
keeps it simple enough to be sticky while still capturing the library's
focus.

At first I was going to suggest reintroducing HTML5 in the tagline, but then
I realized that allowing that to be implied works much better. While HTML5
is certainly relevant on the desktop, it really impacts the mobile
experience and hence it's reasonable to assume that if you say "mobile",
then HTML5 must be nearby.

Also, we are creating libs for native iOS and Android (and eventually BB and WP possibly) so mentioning HTML5 would leave them out.

Just one small thing, I would recommend dropping the hyphen in "open
source". I'm pretty certain it's right either way, so dropping it here just
makes it cleaner.

I am ok with that so if there are no objections I'll remove the hyphen.

Cheers,

-Dan

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM, mojavelinux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kris Borchers wrote
>> Dan and others,
>>
>> Thank you to all of you for your feedback. We were also unsure about the
>> tagline and just the other day decided to change it to "Open-Source
>> Libraries for Mobile Connectivity". I would be interested to hear any
>> feedback you might have on that wording as well.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Kris
>
> Kris and Matthias,
>
> I noticed the new tagline as soon as I came back to the site to check on the
> replies.
>
> I agree, that's a much better tagline. In our minds, we often want to
> include all the details to be as accurate as possible. However, to someone
> looking for a software library, they have a much higher-level need in mind.
> Thus, having a tagline like "open source libraries for mobile connectivity"
> keeps it simple enough to be sticky while still capturing the library's
> focus.
>
> At first I was going to suggest reintroducing HTML5 in the tagline, but then
> I realized that allowing that to be implied works much better. While HTML5
> is certainly relevant on the desktop, it really impacts the mobile
> experience and hence it's reasonable to assume that if you say "mobile",
> then HTML5 must be nearby.
>
> Just one small thing, I would recommend dropping the hyphen in "open
> source". I'm pretty certain it's right either way, so dropping it here just
> makes it cleaner.

Good point, IMO

-M