[aerogear-dev] automated plugin release

Erik Jan de Wit
Hi,

Because the release process for cordova plugins has a lot of steps and because it’s a source distribution I would like to suggest an automated process for releasing and testing the plugins.

What I would like to suggest is that we create a gradle script (for instance can be something else) that will execute the tests, merge the development branch create a tag and publish to plugins.cordova.io. I’ve already experimented with it a bit and it seems very doable.

So what do you think?

Cheers,
        Erik Jan

Re: [aerogear-dev] automated plugin release

Sebastien Blanc
Sounds good !
Question : will this process be really tied to AeroGear's Plugins or will be that  / could that be generic ? Since we could contribute by providing a cordova plugin release mechanism

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Daniel Bevenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds good to me.

On 1 April 2014 09:54, Erik Jan de Wit <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Because the release process for cordova plugins has a lot of steps and because it’s a source distribution I would like to suggest an automated process for releasing and testing the plugins.

What I would like to suggest is that we create a gradle script (for instance can be something else) that will execute the tests, merge the development branch create a tag and publish to plugins.cordova.io. I’ve already experimented with it a bit and it seems very doable.

So what do you think?

Cheers,
        Erik Jan

Re: [aerogear-dev] automated plugin release

tolis emmanouilidis
Sounds good !
Question : will this process be really tied to AeroGear's Plugins or will be that  / could that be generic ? Since we could contribute by providing a cordova plugin release mechanism

+ 1 for a plugin providing cordova related generic configurable gradle tasks

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Daniel Bevenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds good to me.

On 1 April 2014 09:54, Erik Jan de Wit <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Because the release process for cordova plugins has a lot of steps and because it’s a source distribution I would like to suggest an automated process for releasing and testing the plugins.

What I would like to suggest is that we create a gradle script (for instance can be something else) that will execute the tests, merge the development branch create a tag and publish to plugins.cordova.io. I’ve already experimented with it a bit and it seems very doable.

So what do you think?

Cheers,
        Erik Jan

Re: [aerogear-dev] automated plugin release

Karel Piwko
Sounds great.

I'd like to contribute with integration tests (for Android part) we have and add
them to the release process script (we use gradle/maven/java, so it should be
easy to combine).

Here is the itest workflow
1/ create a cordova app via cli (using to-be-release-version plugin)
2/ build app
3/ start android emulator/connect to real device
4/ deploy ups (or use openshift instance)
5/ install app
6/ execute test
        a/ check app is registered
        b/ send message
        c/ check message is received - various variants (foreground,
        background, etc)
7/ cleanup (uninstall, stop, etc)

All but step 1/ are currently automated for Cordova/Android. For iOS is it more
complicated, given the fact you can't test APNs in simulator.

Karel

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 09:54:32 +0200

On 1 Apr,2014, at 13:27 , Karel Piwko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds great.
>
> I'd like to contribute with integration tests (for Android part) we have and add
> them to the release process script (we use gradle/maven/java, so it should be
> easy to combine).
>
> Here is the itest workflow
> 1/ create a cordova app via cli (using to-be-release-version plugin)
> 2/ build app
> 3/ start android emulator/connect to real device
> 4/ deploy ups (or use openshift instance)
> 5/ install app
> 6/ execute test
> a/ check app is registered
> b/ send message
> c/ check message is received - various variants (foreground,
> background, etc)
> 7/ cleanup (uninstall, stop, etc)

I’ve automated step 1 as well, let’s merge our efforts and make a cool gradle script out of this. I think it would also make sense to release all plugins at one and not a single one at a time.

> All but step 1/ are currently automated for Cordova/Android. For iOS is it more
> complicated, given the fact you can't test APNs in simulator.
>
> Karel

Re: [aerogear-dev] automated plugin release

Karel Piwko
On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 14:13:26 +0200
Erik Jan de Wit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 Apr,2014, at 13:27 , Karel Piwko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sounds great.
> >
> > I'd like to contribute with integration tests (for Android part) we have
> > and add them to the release process script (we use gradle/maven/java, so it
> > should be easy to combine).
> >
> > Here is the itest workflow
> > 1/ create a cordova app via cli (using to-be-release-version plugin)
> > 2/ build app
> > 3/ start android emulator/connect to real device
> > 4/ deploy ups (or use openshift instance)
> > 5/ install app
> > 6/ execute test
> > a/ check app is registered
> > b/ send message
> > c/ check message is received - various variants (foreground,
> > background, etc)
> > 7/ cleanup (uninstall, stop, etc)
> >

> I’ve automated step 1 as well, let’s merge our efforts and make a cool gradle
> script out of this. I think it would also make sense to release all plugins
> at one and not a single one at a time.

Awesome. Just let me know where I can find your script so I can start adding
integration tests there.