[aerogear-dev] Why we support NPN in WebPush project?

[aerogear-dev] Why we support NPN in WebPush project?

Idel Pivnitskiy
Hi all!

I just want to know and discuss why we support NPN in WebPush project.

Jetty npn-boot works only with Java 7. But "aerogear-webpush-server-netty" uses a lot of Java 8 API and it's impossible to compile it with javac 7.
We may support it in "webpush-console" because it doesn't use Java 8 API. But do we really want to support deprecated protocol and API?

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy

Re: [aerogear-dev] Why we support NPN in WebPush project?

danielbevenius
>I just want to know and discuss why we support NPN in WebPush project.
If I recall correctly this was due to that when we first started on the WebPush server (November 2014) we were still considering supporting Java 1.7 which required us to use NPN.

>We may support it in "webpush-console" because it doesn't use Java 8 API. But do we really want to support deprecated protocol and API?
The only real reason at the moment would be to support the this Node.js WebPush server implementation [1]. But it has not been updated since May 2015 so I'm pretty sure it is not up to date with the current spec.

My vote is to remove NPN support for both the server and console.

On 23 February 2016 at 22:21, Idel Pivnitskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all!

I just want to know and discuss why we support NPN in WebPush project.

Jetty npn-boot works only with Java 7. But "aerogear-webpush-server-netty" uses a lot of Java 8 API and it's impossible to compile it with javac 7.
We may support it in "webpush-console" because it doesn't use Java 8 API. But do we really want to support deprecated protocol and API?

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy

Re: [aerogear-dev] Why we support NPN in WebPush project?

Matthias Wessendorf

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Daniel Bevenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I just want to know and discuss why we support NPN in WebPush project.
If I recall correctly this was due to that when we first started on the WebPush server (November 2014) we were still considering supporting Java 1.7 which required us to use NPN.

>We may support it in "webpush-console" because it doesn't use Java 8 API. But do we really want to support deprecated protocol and API?
The only real reason at the moment would be to support the this Node.js WebPush server implementation [1]. But it has not been updated since May 2015 so I'm pretty sure it is not up to date with the current spec.

perhaps we can ask the guys, what's up there :)

My vote is to remove NPN support for both the server and console.

generally, +1 on this

On 23 February 2016 at 22:21, Idel Pivnitskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all!

I just want to know and discuss why we support NPN in WebPush project.

Jetty npn-boot works only with Java 7. But "aerogear-webpush-server-netty" uses a lot of Java 8 API and it's impossible to compile it with javac 7.
We may support it in "webpush-console" because it doesn't use Java 8 API. But do we really want to support deprecated protocol and API?

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy

Re: [aerogear-dev] Why we support NPN in WebPush project?

Idel Pivnitskiy
>The only real reason at the moment would be to support the this Node.js WebPush server implementation [1]. But it has not been updated since May 2015 so I'm pretty sure it is not up to date with the current spec.

The version of Node.js WebPush server in master branch implements one of the first drafts of WebPush protocol. It also has a PR [2] which plans to support the same version of protocol as we are now. And they have an issue [3] to support ALPN. In this case we can tag our current state and go further just with ALPN.

So, I add +1 to:

--

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Daniel Bevenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I just want to know and discuss why we support NPN in WebPush project.
If I recall correctly this was due to that when we first started on the WebPush server (November 2014) we were still considering supporting Java 1.7 which required us to use NPN.

>We may support it in "webpush-console" because it doesn't use Java 8 API. But do we really want to support deprecated protocol and API?
The only real reason at the moment would be to support the this Node.js WebPush server implementation [1]. But it has not been updated since May 2015 so I'm pretty sure it is not up to date with the current spec.

perhaps we can ask the guys, what's up there :)

My vote is to remove NPN support for both the server and console.

generally, +1 on this

On 23 February 2016 at 22:21, Idel Pivnitskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all!

I just want to know and discuss why we support NPN in WebPush project.

Jetty npn-boot works only with Java 7. But "aerogear-webpush-server-netty" uses a lot of Java 8 API and it's impossible to compile it with javac 7.
We may support it in "webpush-console" because it doesn't use Java 8 API. But do we really want to support deprecated protocol and API?

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy

Re: [aerogear-dev] Why we support NPN in WebPush project?

Idel Pivnitskiy
I've sent a PR for this: https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-webpush-server/pull/20

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy