[aerogear-dev] UPS: FCM push and how to deal w/ "old" tokens

[aerogear-dev] UPS: FCM push and how to deal w/ "old" tokens

in the ups we have some code, that deals w/ old, non InstanceID tokens (which do not contain a ':' char), since those are not FCM compliant, and are therefore not usable for the topic support in FCM.

Currently I am looking at the tokenloader, and I see there is a bit of complexity, and odd code, that deals w/ that. While I do understand that in the 1.1.x line we wanna keep this, do we really want to keep if for the master branch ?

How realistically is it, that UPS users are using a non InstanceID token? Or Android Push APIs are now over a year on the latest of Google's FCM APIs (in android/client).

Do we feel OK to remove that from the master branch, at some point ?

Re: [aerogear-dev] UPS: FCM push and how to deal w/ "old" tokens

Summers Pittman

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

in the ups we have some code, that deals w/ old, non InstanceID tokens (which do not contain a ':' char), since those are not FCM compliant, and are therefore not usable for the topic support in FCM.

Currently I am looking at the tokenloader, and I see there is a bit of complexity, and odd code, that deals w/ that. While I do understand that in the 1.1.x line we wanna keep this, do we really want to keep if for the master branch ?

How realistically is it, that UPS users are using a non InstanceID token? Or Android Push APIs are now over a year on the latest of Google's FCM APIs (in android/client).

So it is unlikely that users of newer versions of UPS are not updating their client apps.  So users using the new versions of UPS which only support FCM probably will have the FCM version of the AeroGear libraries.

Do we feel OK to remove that from the master branch, at some point ?

I think that is a reasonable idea.