[aerogear-dev] UPS Categories going forward

[aerogear-dev] UPS Categories going forward

Summers Pittman
Y'all,

Since I now have a GCM Topic PR up I figure it is time to revisit beefing up categories a bit.

Before we discussed enhancing the server and client APIs so one could subscribe and unsubscribe to topics without unregistering and reregistering.  This will require a new endpoint on UPS and new code in all the libraries

We also discussed adding the ability to "route" messages to specific handlers based on what category the message was sent to.  This will require adding a field to all push messages that don't use GCM topics.  It will also require updates on the client code.

As an aside there is also GCM support on iOS, but it is much more complicated to set up.

Re: [aerogear-dev] UPS Categories going forward

Sebastien Blanc

I agree we need a  PUT /device/metadata (or smt like that) even if today we support updating of existing installations; if you register an existing device, it will just update its metadata https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/master/service/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/service/impl/ClientInstallationServiceImpl.java#L69-L80

We also discussed adding the ability to "route" messages to specific handlers based on what category the message was sent to.  This will require adding a field to all push messages that don't use GCM topics.  It will also require updates on the client code.
Can you elaborate a bit on that or point me to previous  discussions ?

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Y'all,

Since I now have a GCM Topic PR up I figure it is time to revisit beefing up categories a bit.

Before we discussed enhancing the server and client APIs so one could subscribe and unsubscribe to topics without unregistering and reregistering.  This will require a new endpoint on UPS and new code in all the libraries

I agree we need a  PUT /device/metadata (or smt like that) even if today we support updating of existing installations; if you register an existing device, it will just update its metadata https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/master/service/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/service/impl/ClientInstallationServiceImpl.java#L69-L80

Oooo.  So just spamming register is an option. Thanks!

We also discussed adding the ability to "route" messages to specific handlers based on what category the message was sent to.  This will require adding a field to all push messages that don't use GCM topics.  It will also require updates on the client code.
Can you elaborate a bit on that or point me to previous  discussions ?
I was thinking of edewit's comment:

As an aside there is also GCM support on iOS, but it is much more complicated to set up.

Re: [aerogear-dev] UPS Categories going forward

Erik Jan de Wit
+1 on this I think it's very useful to have a specific listener per topic/category like I said before ;)

-1 on re-using register, even though that already works, I would like a new endpoint to make it's intent more clear also, some clients need to store things locally to be able to call register multiple times (iOS and windows). But we could do it as an initial version.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

       Erik Jan

Re: [aerogear-dev] UPS Categories going forward

Sebastien Blanc
Okay I see, I like the idea as well even the developer could already implement this himself (he just pass the categories in the payload and in the client he implements the routing).
Do we have a jira for this ?

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay I see, I like the idea as well even the developer could already implement this himself (he just pass the categories in the payload and in the client he implements the routing).
Do we have a jira for this ?
Not yet, I can make some today.

[...]

agreed

-1 on re-using register, even though that already works, I would like a new endpoint to make it's intent more clear also, some clients need to store things locally to be able to call register multiple times (iOS and windows). But we could do it as an initial version.

agreed! We even have a ticket for this new endpoint, that just updates the metadata:

[...]

yes, it's nice - but I have reservations against this too. I guess it would translate into a separate variant type GCM-APNs, since not all really want this ;-) But it's something we could do for 2.x