[aerogear-dev] SimplePush Polyfill work

Luke Holmquist
so now that WebPush is going to take over SimplePush, i'm thinking of closing the related JIRA's that we have open for simple push in the AG-JS instance.

Not that we've really done any work on it lately,  but it would be good to clean this up a little.

Thoughts?

-Luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] SimplePush Polyfill work

Idel Pivnitskiy
+1

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy
--

+1

jr

Re: [aerogear-dev] SimplePush Polyfill work

jr
+4

(sorry, just had some fun with a bounding issue, and felt like sharing.)

Just to let y'all know, we're going to be running SimplePush for a while, mostly for older devices. One thing we discovered is that some clients may have a LARGE number of old channels registered and sending them as part of the Hello is a waste. (Our server doesn't pay attention to them.) Newer clients may have an interim fix that blanks the clientIDs:[] record.) Aside from that, we're definitely not going to be pushing any changes that should impact your library.

We've not stood up a production WebPush server, partly because the data encryption portion of the standard is still under discussion. For what it's worth, there are also a few other discussion points that have yet to be finalized (e.g. should developers register with servers, should clients specify channels like they did for SimplePush, etc.) but the data bit is the biggest obstacle.

As always, thanks so much for the continuing support.

On 8/31/2015 12:45 PM, Idel Pivnitskiy wrote:
+1

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 6:59 PM, JR Conlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

i see that PushAPI is enabled in FF42,  and i've successfully gotten notifications with a test i did,  what kind of server are you using then?  i noticed that in the"dom.push.serverURL" is wss://push.services.mozilla.com/

As always, thanks so much for the continuing support.

On 8/31/2015 12:45 PM, Idel Pivnitskiy wrote:
+1

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy
--

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Daniel Bevenius <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

+1

jr

On 9/1/2015 12:02 PM, Luke Holmquist wrote:

[...]

i see that PushAPI is enabled in FF42,  and i've successfully gotten notifications with a test i did,  what kind of server are you using then?  i noticed that in the"dom.push.serverURL" is <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="wss://">wss://push.services.mozilla.com/

The server we're using is still "simplepush". There's some tweaks we've done in prep for WebPush, but it's not running as an HTTP2 service.

For the more python inclined, here's a pointer to the source:
https://github.com/mozilla-services/autopush/

(Some of you may note that this is python and not Go. Turns out that python currently has more optimal libraries for doing this at larger scale. As you happy Java folk know, sometimes good things come well aged.)

Eventually WebPush will come out with mandatory data encryption and HTTP2 connections. Google's WebPush kinda/sorta does that now, except they bury the client side into GCM and expose a portion of the server, but it serves as an example of what's to come. Microsoft has also noted that they'll be supporting WebPush eventually, although they've expressed different concerns they'd like to have addressed. Apple, is Apple, and if they release their version, we hope that it follows the spec.

[...]

Do you have any reference about the encryption discussion. I'd be interested to read more about it.

— abstractj PGP: 0x84DC9914

Twitter: @idelpivnitskiy
GitHub: @idelpivnitskiy

jr

Re: [aerogear-dev] SimplePush Polyfill work

jr
Right now, the best source is the WebPush IETF discussion.
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=webpush&q=encryption

In short, folks are leaning toward AES curve25519, because it's greatly improved security over P-256, and there are enough libraries in the wild that it should be reasonable for App developers to use one.

Required encryption is tricky for any number of reasons. In this case, the goal is to secure your message from the intermediary carriers. Notably, it's a lot easier for carriers to avoid adding pen registries or turning over data if it's just a pile of indecipherable crap. The message is decrypted by the handling client which also generates the public key the remote server uses and is passed as part of the remote registration. The theory is also that if you're running on a compromised client, you're kinda dorked. If you're THAT paranoid (and not saying it's a bad), it's just up to you do do your own encryption as well.