[aerogear-dev] Releasing new parent/bom (0.2.8)

[aerogear-dev] Releasing new parent/bom (0.2.8)

Re: [aerogear-dev] Releasing new parent/bom (0.2.8)

Matthias Wessendorf
looks like the pom on the actual git repo is still 0.2.8-SNAPSHOT, but we do have a 0.2.8 tag

You mind pushing the master changes, from the release plugin ?

Re: [aerogear-dev] Releasing new parent/bom (0.2.8)

Daniel Passos-2
Hi Matthias,

Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1] without dirtying the repository

I have 2 questions

1) Should I push it when I stage a version?

2) Should I add this[1] in 0.2.8 version?

-- Passos

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matthias,

Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1] without dirtying the repository

perhaps we than should change the flow here:

I have 2 questions

1) Should I push it when I stage a version?

That's what the guide says. I didn't write it, but I think if we need to, we can always 're-think' rules :) we are flexible :)

2) Should I add this[1] in 0.2.8 version?

Oh, yah! that would be eggxtremely nice :-)

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matthias,

Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1] without dirtying the repository

perhaps we than should change the flow here:

I have 2 questions

1) Should I push it when I stage a version?

That's what the guide says. I didn't write it, but I think if we need to, we can always 're-think' rules :) we are flexible :)

If team agrees with this flow, I update the doc

2) Should I add this[1] in 0.2.8 version?

Oh, yah! that would be eggxtremely nice :-)

I'm on it.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
looks like the pom on the actual git repo is still 0.2.8-SNAPSHOT, but we do have a 0.2.8 tag

You mind pushing the master changes, from the release plugin ?

Re: [aerogear-dev] Releasing new parent/bom (0.2.8)

Daniel Passos-2
Hi ALL,

I just stage it again to include this[1]

Feel free test it and let me know about the release by Friday, so we can upload the bits to maven central over the weekend.

-- Passos

On 2014-10-16, Daniel Passos wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to
> repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1]
> without dirtying the repository
>
> I have 2 questions
>
> 1) Should I push it when I stage a version?

I don't think so. Part of our release process is: push the tag first,
stage and after release, push the changes -
https://github.com/aerogear/collateral/wiki/Release-Process-(Java)

It make the process easy to revert changes, if something goes wrong you
just need to cancel the release and delete the tag.

> 2) Should I add this[1] in 0.2.8 version?
>
> [1] https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/pull/28

I think this is pretty much coordinated with the team, once you start
the release process, no more changes should be added until we release
and push the commits related to it.

> -- Passos
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > looks like the pom on the actual git repo is still 0.2.8-SNAPSHOT, but we
> > do have a 0.2.8 tag
> > https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/blob/master/pom.xml
> >
> > Noticed when I wanted to merge
> > https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/pull/28
> >
> > You mind pushing the master changes, from the release plugin ?
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I’d like to run a new release of our parent/bom.
> >>
> >> Here is some changes related to newer versions:
> >>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1526 - Update Android Support library version
> >>    <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1526>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1525 - Remove unnecessary dependencies
> >>    <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1525>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1524 - Change Android Maven Central stub to real Android
> >>    library from Maven SDK deploy
> >>    <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1524>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1527 - Move gcm server and json simple from android bom to
> >>    bom <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1527>
> >>
> >> Feel free to test it. I have plan to release it next thursday.
> >>
> >> The staging repo is here:
> >>
> >> https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/jboss_releases_staging_profile-4026/
> >>
> >> — Passos

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914

On 2014-10-16, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to
> > repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1]
> > without dirtying the repository
> >

> perhaps we than should change the flow here:
> https://github.com/aerogear/collateral/wiki/Release-Process-(Java)

To me, this is a bad idea. If you change the flow and something is
messed up, our repositories will end up with a lot of reverts.

> > I have 2 questions
> >
> > 1) Should I push it when I stage a version?
> >

> That's what the guide says. I didn't write it, but I think if we need to,
> we can always 're-think' rules :) we are flexible :)
>

> > 2) Should I add this[1] in 0.2.8 version?
> >

> Oh, yah! that would be eggxtremely nice :-)
>
> -M
>

> > [1] https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/pull/28
> >
> > -- Passos
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> looks like the pom on the actual git repo is still 0.2.8-SNAPSHOT, but we
> >> do have a 0.2.8 tag
> >> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/blob/master/pom.xml
> >>
> >> Noticed when I wanted to merge
> >> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/pull/28
> >>
> >> You mind pushing the master changes, from the release plugin ?

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914

On 2014-10-16, Daniel Passos wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Matthias,
> >>
> >> Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to
> >> repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1]
> >> without dirtying the repository
> >>

> > perhaps we than should change the flow here:
> > https://github.com/aerogear/collateral/wiki/Release-Process-(Java)
> >

> >> I have 2 questions
> >>
> >> 1) Should I push it when I stage a version?
> >>

> > That's what the guide says. I didn't write it, but I think if we need to,
> > we can always 're-think' rules :) we are flexible :)
> >

> If team agrees with this flow, I update the doc

-1

> > 2) Should I add this[1] in 0.2.8 version?
> >>

> > Oh, yah! that would be eggxtremely nice :-)
> >

> I'm on it.
>

> > -M
> >

> >> [1] https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/pull/28
> >>
> >> -- Passos

> > --
> > Matthias Wessendorf

> > sessions: http://www.slideshare.net/mwessendorf
> > twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914

On 2014-10-16, Daniel Passos wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to
> repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1]
> without dirtying the repository
>
> I have 2 questions
>
> 1) Should I push it when I stage a version?

I don't think so. Part of our release process is: push the tag first,
stage and after release, push the changes -
https://github.com/aerogear/collateral/wiki/Release-Process-(Java)

yeah, there is this recommendation:

====
Note 2: You only want to do this once your staging time has ended and tests have been successful.
====

In the past I pushed the version update to master, before staging, after the "mvn release:perform" has been executed successful.

But yeah, in case something would have gone wrong, during the stating period, I'd have needed to revert that :)

I think the current process, with the above recommendation, works well for us

-M

It make the process easy to revert changes, if something goes wrong you
just need to cancel the release and delete the tag.

> 2) Should I add this[1] in 0.2.8 version?
>
> [1] https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/pull/28

I think this is pretty much coordinated with the team, once you start
the release process, no more changes should be added until we release
and push the commits related to it.

> -- Passos
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > looks like the pom on the actual git repo is still 0.2.8-SNAPSHOT, but we
> > do have a 0.2.8 tag
> > https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/blob/master/pom.xml
> >
> > Noticed when I wanted to merge
> > https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-parent/pull/28
> >
> > You mind pushing the master changes, from the release plugin ?
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I’d like to run a new release of our parent/bom.
> >>
> >> Here is some changes related to newer versions:
> >>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1526 - Update Android Support library version
> >>    <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1526>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1525 - Remove unnecessary dependencies
> >>    <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1525>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1524 - Change Android Maven Central stub to real Android
> >>    library from Maven SDK deploy
> >>    <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1524>
> >>    - AEROGEAR-1527 - Move gcm server and json simple from android bom to
> >>    bom <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AEROGEAR-1527>
> >>
> >> Feel free to test it. I have plan to release it next thursday.
> >>
> >> The staging repo is here:
> >>
> >> https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/jboss_releases_staging_profile-4026/
> >>
> >> — Passos

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:14:10PM +0200, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > Of course, not sure if it's the correct but in my flow I only push it to
> > repo, after release it, so, we can revert it or add something like this[1]
> > without dirtying the repository
> >

> perhaps we than should change the flow here:
> https://github.com/aerogear/collateral/wiki/Release-Process-(Java)
-1

Tags are somehow easier to update without leaving a trail of failed
attempts. Once you push to master, it just becomes noise and reverts.

Re: [aerogear-dev] Releasing new parent/bom (0.2.8)

Daniel Passos-2
I just release it to maven central.

-- Passos