[aerogear-dev] [RFC] future Roadmap for Unified Push Server

[aerogear-dev] [RFC] future Roadmap for Unified Push Server

Matthias Wessendorf

Hi team,

as we are moving forward w/ the releases, and we are close to have our 1.1.0.Final, I started to think about a proposal for a near-term future roadmap, and I'd like to get feedback, comments (or tomatos) on it.

UPS 1.1.x (July/August)

  • 1.1.0 -> very soon
  • 1.1.x -> perhaps some needed bug fixes/improvements, in a short interval :-)

UPS 1.2.0 (September/October)

We have a release version in JIRA already.

Key features

  • Keycloak isolation
  • GCM 3 support (client and server)
  • Improved docker support (e.g. tests/test suite -> Hopefully Travis supports 'docker run' by than ;-))

One could think that going back to JPA annotations is a key feature as well ;-)

UPS 1.2.x (or even 1.3.0) (December 2015)

There is no concrete release version for this, but we have a larger ups-future version in JIRA. The ups-future version/label has a few interesting things, that we may have to do right after 1.2.0

Key features

  • APNs goes HTTP2 (a must)
  • Quiete time for push (aka timezone awareness of devices)
  • Scheduled pushes
  • Proxy server support

UPS 2.0.0 (March-2016)

In October (2015) the WildFly 10 should be released and I'd like to see us adapting this for the 2.0.0 series! Also for a possible release of our 2.0.0 in March 2016, I’d like to stop the 1.x series!

Note: We don't have a release version for JIRA here, but heck! this mail is asking for feedback ;-)

Key features / Core changes

  • UPS based on (public) APIs that are available in WildFly-10
    • looking at using WF feature packs (similar to what Keycloak did, e.g. for layered "product"
    • looking at getting an UPS sub-system
  • Java8 only (as well as making sure works w/ Java9)
  • internal communication fully based on messaging (A-MQ / HornetQ)
  • WildFly-Swarm launcher (aka fat JARs)
    • helps with a more modular system:
  • Modular system (e.g. different “webapps”, like "sender.war", "registration.war", "UI WAR" etc)
    • allows us to play with different platforms for the different “web apps”
    • e.g. for a 2.x.y we could see/experiment how a vertx microservice (e.g. for the device registration) will behave in the larger system

Other new features, e.g. based on needs and/or requests could be weaved into 2.0.0 or 2.0.x, based on timing.

Please review this initial draft of a roadmap - once we are all in agreement, it's time to hammer the roadmap into stone, uhm... JIRA :-)

Greetings,

Re: [aerogear-dev] [RFC] future Roadmap for Unified Push Server

Luke Holmquist

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

while i'm sure that Wildly/EAP is our "Main" target, wouldn't this make it difficult for users to use some other app server container?

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Luke Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think it's not really possible today anyways.

That said, the modular module (e.g. via WF Swarm) means using 'fat jars' or basically running JARs, not deploying into a container.

e.g. this also opens options to replace parts of the UPS server w/ others, like vert.x, dropbox etc

[...]

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
dropwizard - sorry

oh man,  but i so wanted to run my UPS instance in my dropbox  :)

[...]

I think that for version 2.x we should deprecate SimplePush, or even remove it (since ups will soon have initial WebPush support)

thoughts?

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [aerogear-dev] [RFC] future Roadmap for Unified Push Server

Looks good !

Some comments inline

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi team,

as we are moving forward w/ the releases, and we are close to have our 1.1.0.Final, I started to think about a proposal for a near-term future roadmap, and I'd like to get feedback, comments (or tomatos) on it.

UPS 1.1.x (July/August)

  • 1.1.0 -> very soon
  • 1.1.x -> perhaps some needed bug fixes/improvements, in a short interval :-)

UPS 1.2.0 (September/October)

We have a release version in JIRA already.

Key features

  • Keycloak isolation
  • GCM 3 support (client and server)
For server, does that mean using their xmpp connection instead of http ?
  • Improved docker support (e.g. tests/test suite -> Hopefully Travis supports 'docker run' by than ;-))

One could think that going back to JPA annotations is a key feature as well ;-)

UPS 1.2.x (or even 1.3.0) (December 2015)

There is no concrete release version for this, but we have a larger ups-future version in JIRA. The ups-future version/label has a few interesting things, that we may have to do right after 1.2.0

Key features

  • APNs goes HTTP2 (a must)
  • Quiete time for push (aka timezone awareness of devices)
  • Scheduled pushes
  • Proxy server support
Maybe we could consider some new features around metrics/analytics : I'm thinking of A/B testing for instance

[...]

I like that :)

Other new features, e.g. based on needs and/or requests could be weaved into 2.0.0 or 2.0.x, based on timing.

I think we should consider some security features like certificates for registration etc ... But we can maybe discuss that in a different thread.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that for version 2.x we should deprecate SimplePush, or even remove it (since ups will soon have initial WebPush support)

thoughts?
I would prefer to mark it as "frozen" (let it go ! Let it go ! ) , not sure that status exist :) but what I mean, even if FirefoxOS switch to WebPush, we have here a stable server and client support and maybe there are still valid use cases (iot) where people want to use SPS. So I think it would be nice to keep it (even if we do not update it anymore)

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good !

Some comments inline

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi team,

as we are moving forward w/ the releases, and we are close to have our 1.1.0.Final, I started to think about a proposal for a near-term future roadmap, and I'd like to get feedback, comments (or tomatos) on it.

UPS 1.1.x (July/August)

  • 1.1.0 -> very soon
  • 1.1.x -> perhaps some needed bug fixes/improvements, in a short interval :-)

UPS 1.2.0 (September/October)

We have a release version in JIRA already.

Key features

  • Keycloak isolation
  • GCM 3 support (client and server)
For server, does that mean using their xmpp connection instead of http ?

GMC 3.0 supports both, actually - but there is a ticket nested for us, to move over to their XMPP based connection approach.

  • Improved docker support (e.g. tests/test suite -> Hopefully Travis supports 'docker run' by than ;-))

One could think that going back to JPA annotations is a key feature as well ;-)

UPS 1.2.x (or even 1.3.0) (December 2015)

There is no concrete release version for this, but we have a larger ups-future version in JIRA. The ups-future version/label has a few interesting things, that we may have to do right after 1.2.0

Key features

  • APNs goes HTTP2 (a must)
  • Quiete time for push (aka timezone awareness of devices)
  • Scheduled pushes
  • Proxy server support
Maybe we could consider some new features around metrics/analytics : I'm thinking of A/B testing for instance

Good point - But, I think the linked ups-future version already contains that JIRA.

[...]

ah, right - good point, or at least getting rid of HTTP_BASIC and using the KC bearer tokens for the sender and device APIs.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that for version 2.x we should deprecate SimplePush, or even remove it (since ups will soon have initial WebPush support)

thoughts?
I would prefer to mark it as "frozen" (let it go ! Let it go ! ) , not sure that status exist :)

right - our SimplePush server should be finished, and its 1.0.0 should be the last release - unless we haz major/security issues.
Not sure it's up-to-date w/ the latest Moz impl of the server

but what I mean, even if FirefoxOS switch to WebPush, we have here a stable server and client support and maybe there are still valid use cases (iot) where people want to use SPS. So I think it would be nice to keep it (even if we do not update it anymore)

Ok - fair enough - on UPS we can keep the support for SimplePush

[...]

Karel Piwko

[...]

+9001!!!

UPS 2.0.0 (March-2016)

In October (2015) the WildFly 10 should be released and I'd like to see us adapting this for the 2.0.0 series! Also for a possible release of our 2.0.0 in March 2016, I’d like to stop the 1.x series!

Do you plan to have automated migration path from 1.x series? E.g. Windup tool support?

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Karel Piwko <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

hrm - I have not thought about that. What will be the scope here? And how different would it be from the DB migrator work that QMX started ?