Quantcast

[aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

Howdy!

As we discussed on our team meeting today, having basic query and pagination support would be cool.

Here are some suggestions, gathered from previous conversations around the topic, and from some BaaS providers in the wild.

Paging:

1) /cars/?limit=10&offset=3
2) /cars/?limit=10&skip=3

Query:

1) /cars/query?color=blue
2) /cars/?query={"color":"red", "owner":"summers"}
3) /cars/?where={"brand":"BMW"}
4) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders": 8}}
5) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders":{"$gt":6}}}

This is not set into stone, just ideas, and I do think that anything above exact matches should go after 1.0

Thoughts?

-- qmx

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

Matthias Wessendorf
Hello!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Douglas Campos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> As we discussed on our team meeting today, having basic query and pagination support would be cool.
>
> Here are some suggestions, gathered from previous conversations around the topic, and from some BaaS providers in the wild.
>
> Paging:
>
> 1) /cars/?limit=10&offset=3
> 2) /cars/?limit=10&skip=3
>
> Query:
>
> 1) /cars/query?color=blue
> 2) /cars/?query={"color":"red", "owner":"summers"}
> 3) /cars/?where={"brand":"BMW"}
> 4) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders": 8}}
> 5) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders":{"$gt":6}}}
>
> This is not set into stone, just ideas,

I guess it's a matter of agreeing :) the main work is on the "ag
server component".

Question.... do we want to keep it flexible? E.g. if AG clients are
used for a backend that does not use "limit" for the pagination?
(I guess kinda similar to what we have on the endpoints, where you can
override the default)

> and I do think that anything above exact matches should go after 1.0

fine w/ me

-M

> Thoughts?
>
> -- qmx

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

Jay Balunas

On Oct 30, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

Hello!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Douglas Campos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Howdy!

As we discussed on our team meeting today, having basic query and pagination support would be cool.

Here are some suggestions, gathered from previous conversations around the topic, and from some BaaS providers in the wild.

Paging:

1) /cars/?limit=10&offset=3
2) /cars/?limit=10&skip=3

Is the skip the number of pages, or the literal item count to start on?

Also, we would want a way to get back a total #, and page #'s give a page size.  This may be a separate call - wdyt?

Query:

1) /cars/query?color=blue
2) /cars/?query={"color":"red", "owner":"summers"}
3) /cars/?where={"brand":"BMW"}
4) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders": 8}}
5) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders":{"$gt":6}}}

This is not set into stone, just ideas,

I guess it's a matter of agreeing :) the main work is on the "ag
server component".

Question.... do we want to keep it flexible? E.g. if AG clients are
used for a backend that does not use "limit" for the pagination?
(I guess kinda similar to what we have on the endpoints, where you can
override the default)

Where would you override this?  In the pipeline creation?

Also, and opinions on using matrix parameters instead of query parameters?  For now we would need to combine with #PathParam & PathSegments.  See http://docs.jboss.org/resteasy/docs/3.0-beta-1/userguide/html_single/index.html#_PathParam_and_PathSegment for details.

This would allow future nesting of queries.

and I do think that anything above exact matches should go after 1.0

fine w/ me

Thoughts?

-- qmx

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

Matthias Wessendorf
that is a nice document

thx for sharing

-M

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The way github does paging looks nice,
>
> http://developer.github.com/v3/#pagination
>
> On Oct 31, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Jay Balunas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Oct 30, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>
> Hello!
>

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Douglas Campos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Howdy!
>

> As we discussed on our team meeting today, having basic query and pagination
> support would be cool.
>

> Here are some suggestions, gathered from previous conversations around the
> topic, and from some BaaS providers in the wild.
>

> Paging:
>

> 1) /cars/?limit=10&offset=3
>
> 2) /cars/?limit=10&skip=3
>

> Is the skip the number of pages, or the literal item count to start on?
>
> Also, we would want a way to get back a total #, and page #'s give a page
> size.  This may be a separate call - wdyt?
>

> Query:
>

> 1) /cars/query?color=blue
>
> 2) /cars/?query={"color":"red", "owner":"summers"}
>
> 3) /cars/?where={"brand":"BMW"}
>
> 4) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders": 8}}
>
> 5) /cars/?query={"engine":{"cylinders":{"$gt":6}}}
>

> This is not set into stone, just ideas,
>

> I guess it's a matter of agreeing :) the main work is on the "ag
> server component".
>
> Question.... do we want to keep it flexible? E.g. if AG clients are
> used for a backend that does not use "limit" for the pagination?
> (I guess kinda similar to what we have on the endpoints, where you can
> override the default)
>

> Where would you override this?  In the pipeline creation?
>
> Also, and opinions on using matrix parameters instead of query parameters?
> For now we would need to combine with #PathParam & PathSegments.  See
> http://docs.jboss.org/resteasy/docs/3.0-beta-1/userguide/html_single/index.html#_PathParam_and_PathSegment
> for details.
>
> This would allow future nesting of queries.
>

> and I do think that anything above exact matches should go after 1.0
>

> fine w/ me
>

> +1
>

> -M
>

> Thoughts?
>

> -- qmx

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

We have started to look into AEROGEAR-645 "Add Query/Paging support on RESTful endpoints" and tried to gather there requirements from this thread here:
https://gist.github.com/4147473

Please let us know if you are missing anything, or if there are additional things to consider.

Thanks,

/Dan

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

Bruno Oliveira
Overall looks good Daniel and I'd say go for it!

On Monday, November 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM, danielbevenius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have started to look into AEROGEAR-645 "Add Query/Paging support on
> RESTful endpoints" and tried to gather there requirements from this thread
> here:
> https://gist.github.com/4147473
>
> Please let us know if you are missing anything, or if there are additional
> things to consider.
>
> Thanks,
>
> /Dan

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

danielbevenius
Thanks Bruno!

I was just wondering if you saw my question at the bottom of the page there:
Since AeroGear Controller does not currently handle RESTful services neither paging of querying makes sense, which is leaving me a little puzzled as to what the task at hand should actually do?

Should I go ahead with this and stash it in a branch until we add support for RESTful endpoint?

On 26 November 2012 15:46, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
Overall looks good Daniel and I'd say go for it!

On Monday, November 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM, danielbevenius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have started to look into AEROGEAR-645 "Add Query/Paging support on
> RESTful endpoints" and tried to gather there requirements from this thread
> here:
> https://gist.github.com/4147473
>
> Please let us know if you are missing anything, or if there are additional
> things to consider.
>
> Thanks,
>
> /Dan

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

Bruno Oliveira
Sorry Daniel, just missed that. Maybe qmx has more thoughts on it and we can discuss at the meeting tomorrow.

Could we do something using Resteasy or JAX-RS? I know that it will add more dependencies to controller, but maybe could help us to design our RESTful API while we figure out how to do it on top of Resteasy.

I'd say, go for it and we can definitely create a new branch if you want. I'm +1 to move forward.

Any thoughts guys?

On Monday, November 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Daniel Bevenius wrote:

> Thanks Bruno!
>
> I was just wondering if you saw my question at the bottom of the page there:
> Since AeroGear Controller does not currently handle RESTful services neither paging of querying makes sense, which is leaving me a little puzzled as to what the task at hand should actually do?
>
> Should I go ahead with this and stash it in a branch until we add support for RESTful endpoint?
>

> On 26 November 2012 15:46, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])> wrote:
> > Overall looks good Daniel and I'd say go for it!
> >

> > --
> > "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> > -
> > @abstractj
> > -
> > Volenti Nihil Difficile
> >

> > On Monday, November 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM, danielbevenius wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have started to look into AEROGEAR-645 "Add Query/Paging support on
> > > RESTful endpoints" and tried to gather there requirements from this thread
> > > here:
> > > https://gist.github.com/4147473
> > >
> > > Please let us know if you are missing anything, or if there are additional
> > > things to consider.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > /Dan

Re: [aerogear-dev] Query/Paging Brainstorm

danielbevenius
Sounds good, lets discuss this at the meeting today.