[aerogear-dev] Publish new release of digger-java client

[aerogear-dev] Publish new release of digger-java client

Wei Li
Hi AeroGear community,

We have been using the digger-java client module in our product for the last couple of months. At this point I think the API is stable enough and I think we should release them.

However, because at some point during the 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT version, we have introduced some broken changes (and our product is released using the version before the broken changes are made), we now need to do 2 releases;

1. Release 1.0.1 from this branch: https://github.com/wei-lee/digger-java/tree/fix-for-3-18-release. This is before the broken change is introduced.
2. From master (1.0.2).

Apologies in advance for the manually version change. Matthias does point it out that it is not the right way to do it.

So, can we publish those releases? Sorry for the problem we have caused, I promise it won't be like this the next time....

--

WEI LI

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

Red Hat Mobile

[hidden email]    M: <a href="tel:+353862393272" style="color:rgb(0,136,206);font-size:11px;margin:0px" target="_blank">+353862393272

Re: [aerogear-dev] Publish new release of digger-java client

Matthias Wessendorf

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Wei Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi AeroGear community,

We have been using the digger-java client module in our product for the last couple of months. At this point I think the API is stable enough and I think we should release them.

However, because at some point during the 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT version, we have introduced some broken changes (and our product is released using the version before the broken changes are made), we now need to do 2 releases;

1. Release 1.0.1 from this branch: https://github.com/wei-lee/digger-java/tree/fix-for-3-18-release. This is before the broken change is introduced.

we can release this, let's make a branch, with a more reasonable name, available on upstream

2. From master (1.0.2).

ok

So, why do we need an old release? Not sure I really get that.

Apologies in advance for the manually version change. Matthias does point it out that it is not the right way to do it.

So, can we publish those releases? Sorry for the problem we have caused, I promise it won't be like this the next time....

there are no big problems. I'd suggest we simply continue to follow a normal java release process, as discussed here and avoid manual bumps.

Also, it never hurts to release bits to the community very often (release early, release often). This likely avoids issues like the above

I have create the release-1.0.1 branch: https://github.com/aerogear/digger-java/tree/release-1.0.1. We can do the release from there.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The problem is that 1.0.2 is not backward compatible with 1.0.1. We have a release branch that needs to built with 1.0.1, but master needs to be built with 1.0.2.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Wei Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

to follow semVer, let's name it 1.1.0 - instead of 1.0.2 since it's not backwards compatible

[...]

Karel Piwko
Hello All,

should not the version bump be minor/major to indicated backwards compatibility changes according to semver? Also by releasing 1.0.2 you remove the path to (eventually) patch 1.0.1 in the future and release as 1.0.2. Releasing it as 1.0.3 would add even more confusion imho.

Thanks,

Karel

[...]

KAREL PIWKO

MANAGER, MOBILE QE

Red Hat Czech Republic

Purkyňova 647/111

612 00 Brno, Czech Republic

[hidden email]    IM: kpiwko

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

+1, exactly my point :-)

[...]

Hello,

I've pushed 1.1.0 (master) and 1.0.1 JARs over to maven central

They should be online tomorrow ....