[aerogear-dev] New System Setup

Luke
Hi guys,

Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system setup.

Things i'm planning on:
Adium(irc)
xcode
git
maven
chrome
open office
android sdk
IntelliJ(IDE)

I'm thinking of SublimeText2 as an editor. I'm interested to see what the JS guys have for javascript development.  Are you using just the IDE or something more lightweight.

What are some other things that i should be installing to get setup up

Figured this would be a good guide for new team members and users  <-- stole this thought from Jay :)

Thanks,

-Luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] New System Setup

Kris Borchers
Lucas,

+9001 for Sublime Text 2, it is the best editor I have used by far. Some add-ons you'll want are:
  • Package Control - http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/package_control
    • get this first as it makes it really easy to install other packages
  • Once you have Package Control installed, ⌘ + ⇧ + P will open the command palette and from there Package Control: Install Package will let you search for packages to install
    • SublimeLinter - Can lint your code on every key press or when you save a file
    • TrailingSpaces - Shows you if you have white space at the end of the line which is gross, don't do it :-)  SublimeLinter also shows you trailing white space but I use both because it's that gross :D
    • Markdown Preview - does just that

There are lots of other packages too but those I use all the time.

Kris

On Sep 6, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Glen Daniels
Hi Luke!

Good list.  I'd add:

Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.

Probably want Eclipse around even though IDEA is vastly superior. :)
We'll need to support it for sure.

If you're using Ruby at all, definitely recommend rvm.

--G

On 9/6/12 3:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system setup.
>
> Things i'm planning on:
> Adium(irc)
> xcode
> git
> maven
> chrome
> open office
> android sdk
> IntelliJ(IDE)
>
> I'm thinking of SublimeText2 as an editor. I'm interested to see what
> the JS guys have for javascript development.  Are you using just the IDE
> or something more lightweight.
>
> What are some other things that i should be installing to get setup up
>
> Figured this would be a good guide for new team members and users  <--
> stole this thought from Jay :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] New System Setup

Jay Balunas
This should be captured in the "contributing to aerogear" document - as Lucas mentioned it would be good information for anyone!

Lucas - please create a jira for this and consider it a first assignment :-)

PS: Leave off personnel opinions on tools and make sure JBoss Tools is in the list - I use it and like it :-)

On Sep 6, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Glen Daniels wrote:

> Hi Luke!
>
> Good list.  I'd add:
>
> Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.
>
> Probably want Eclipse around even though IDEA is vastly superior. :)
> We'll need to support it for sure.
>
> If you're using Ruby at all, definitely recommend rvm.
>
> --G
>
> On 9/6/12 3:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system setup.
>>
>> Things i'm planning on:
>> Adium(irc)
>> xcode
>> git
>> maven
>> chrome
>> open office
>> android sdk
>> IntelliJ(IDE)
>>
>> I'm thinking of SublimeText2 as an editor. I'm interested to see what
>> the JS guys have for javascript development.  Are you using just the IDE
>> or something more lightweight.
>>
>> What are some other things that i should be installing to get setup up
>>
>> Figured this would be a good guide for new team members and users  <--
>> stole this thought from Jay :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] New System Setup

Luke
Kris,

I'm guessing this is what you used then for writing pipeline?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 6, 2012, at 4:27 PM, Jay Balunas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This should be captured in the "contributing to aerogear" document - as Lucas mentioned it would be good information for anyone!
>
> Lucas - please create a jira for this and consider it a first assignment :-)
>
> PS: Leave off personnel opinions on tools and make sure JBoss Tools is in the list - I use it and like it :-)

I think that last statement contradicts the first statement about personnel opinion , lol

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Glen Daniels wrote:
>
>> Hi Luke!
>>
>> Good list.  I'd add:
>>
>> Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.
>>
>> Probably want Eclipse around even though IDEA is vastly superior. :)
>> We'll need to support it for sure.
>>
>> If you're using Ruby at all, definitely recommend rvm.
>>
>> --G
>>
>> On 9/6/12 3:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system setup.
>>>
>>> Things i'm planning on:
>>> Adium(irc)
>>> xcode
>>> git
>>> maven

On Sep 6, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Glen Daniels wrote:

> Hi Luke!
>
> Good list.  I'd add:
>
> Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.
Macports is dead, long live Homebrew

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Luke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 6, 2012, at 4:27 PM, Jay Balunas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This should be captured in the "contributing to aerogear" document - as Lucas mentioned it would be good information for anyone!
>
> Lucas - please create a jira for this and consider it a first assignment :-)

i think you already did in july.

> PS: Leave off personnel opinions on tools and make sure JBoss Tools is in the list - I use it and like it :-)

I think that last statement contradicts the first statement about personnel opinion , lol

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Glen Daniels wrote:
>
>> Hi Luke!
>>
>> Good list.  I'd add:
>>
>> Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.
>>
>> Probably want Eclipse around even though IDEA is vastly superior. :)
>> We'll need to support it for sure.
>>
>> If you're using Ruby at all, definitely recommend rvm.
>>
>> --G
>>
>> On 9/6/12 3:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system setup.
>>>
>>> Things i'm planning on:
>>> Adium(irc)
>>> xcode
>>> git
>>> maven
>>> chrome
>>> open office
>>> android sdk
>>> IntelliJ(IDE)
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of SublimeText2 as an editor. I'm interested to see what
>>> the JS guys have for javascript development.  Are you using just the IDE
>>> or something more lightweight.
>>>
>>> What are some other things that i should be installing to get setup up
>>>
>>> Figured this would be a good guide for new team members and users  <--
>>> stole this thought from Jay :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -Luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] New System Setup

Marko Strukelj

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Glen Daniels wrote:
>
> > Hi Luke!
> >
> > Good list.  I'd add:
> >
> > Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.
> Macports is dead, long live Homebrew

A trivia on the topic ... A few months ago I wanted to use KDEnlive on my Mac as iMovie produced color-banded output I couldn't find a way to fix.
KDEnlive would only build with Macports at that time so I installed Macports ... So now I have both Macports and Homebrew installed, and I haven't experienced any problems thus far.

Macports is still holding on :)

> > Probably want Eclipse around even though IDEA is vastly superior.
> > :)
> > We'll need to support it for sure.
> >
> > If you're using Ruby at all, definitely recommend rvm.
> >
> > --G
> >
> > On 9/6/12 3:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system
> >> setup.
> >>
> >> Things i'm planning on:
> >> Adium(irc)
> >> xcode
> >> git
> >> maven
> >> chrome
> >> open office
> >> android sdk
> >> IntelliJ(IDE)
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of SublimeText2 as an editor. I'm interested to see
> >> what
> >> the JS guys have for javascript development.  Are you using just
> >> the IDE
> >> or something more lightweight.
> >>
> >> What are some other things that i should be installing to get
> >> setup up
> >>
> >> Figured this would be a good guide for new team members and users
> >>  <--
> >> stole this thought from Jay :)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> -Luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] New System Setup

Luke
Here is the JIRA for this

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Marko Strukelj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Glen Daniels wrote:
>
> > Hi Luke!
> >
> > Good list.  I'd add:
> >
> > Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.
> Macports is dead, long live Homebrew

A trivia on the topic ... A few months ago I wanted to use KDEnlive on my Mac as iMovie produced color-banded output I couldn't find a way to fix.
KDEnlive would only build with Macports at that time so I installed Macports ... So now I have both Macports and Homebrew installed, and I haven't experienced any problems thus far.

Macports is still holding on :)

> > Probably want Eclipse around even though IDEA is vastly superior.
> > :)
> > We'll need to support it for sure.
> >
> > If you're using Ruby at all, definitely recommend rvm.
> >
> > --G
> >
> > On 9/6/12 3:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system
> >> setup.
> >>
> >> Things i'm planning on:
> >> Adium(irc)
> >> xcode
> >> git
> >> maven
> >> chrome
> >> open office
> >> android sdk
> >> IntelliJ(IDE)
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of SublimeText2 as an editor. I'm interested to see
> >> what
> >> the JS guys have for javascript development.  Are you using just
> >> the IDE
> >> or something more lightweight.
> >>
> >> What are some other things that i should be installing to get
> >> setup up
> >>
> >> Figured this would be a good guide for new team members and users
> >>  <--
> >> stole this thought from Jay :)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> -Luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] New System Setup

Luke
Here is a first attempt at creating the doc:

feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

-luke

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is the JIRA for this

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Marko Strukelj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Glen Daniels wrote:
>
> > Hi Luke!
> >
> > Good list.  I'd add:
> >
> > Homebrew or Macports for installing various libs and tools.
> Macports is dead, long live Homebrew

A trivia on the topic ... A few months ago I wanted to use KDEnlive on my Mac as iMovie produced color-banded output I couldn't find a way to fix.
KDEnlive would only build with Macports at that time so I installed Macports ... So now I have both Macports and Homebrew installed, and I haven't experienced any problems thus far.

Macports is still holding on :)

> > Probably want Eclipse around even though IDEA is vastly superior.
> > :)
> > We'll need to support it for sure.
> >
> > If you're using Ruby at all, definitely recommend rvm.
> >
> > --G
> >
> > On 9/6/12 3:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Just got my new mac book and i need some advice on some system
> >> setup.
> >>
> >> Things i'm planning on:
> >> Adium(irc)
> >> xcode
> >> git
> >> maven
> >> chrome
> >> open office
> >> android sdk
> >> IntelliJ(IDE)
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of SublimeText2 as an editor. I'm interested to see
> >> what
> >> the JS guys have for javascript development.  Are you using just
> >> the IDE
> >> or something more lightweight.
> >>
> >> What are some other things that i should be installing to get
> >> setup up
> >>
> >> Figured this would be a good guide for new team members and users
> >>  <--
> >> stole this thought from Jay :)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> -Luke