[aerogear-dev] Long delay from first to last push message received on iOS devices

[aerogear-dev] Long delay from first to last push message received on iOS devices

Øivind Hoff Johansen
Hi,
we're experiencing a delay when sending push messages to iOS devices.
Our biggest push application have 32690 iOS devices registered and a smaller amount of android devices.
We see that the delay is up to 20 minutes from first to last on iOS everytime.

We are using version 1.1.0-beta.4, and have upgraded from 1.0.2. Table ups_db_changelog have 135 rows
Running wildfly 8.1.0 Final

We had the same problem with 1.0.2 but then we could see the delay in the log output, now according to the logs it takes around 10 seconds. (see fine.log), we also see this in the network traffic out from the server.

The only error we're seeing in the logs is on MonitoringThread-1

(MonitoringThread-1) Exception in thread "MonitoringThread-1" java.lang.NullPointerException
(MonitoringThread-1) at org.jboss.aerogear.unifiedpush.message.sender.APNsPushNotificationSender$2.messageSendFailed(APNsPushNotificationSender.java:232)
(MonitoringThread-1) at com.notnoop.apns.internal.ApnsConnectionImpl$2.run(ApnsConnectionImpl.java:199)
(MonitoringThread-1) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Do you have any ideas on why this delay is happening, and how to solve it?

Logs:
http://static.polarismedia.no/apps/aero/fine.log
http://static.polarismedia.no/apps/aero/wildfly.log
http://static.polarismedia.no/apps/aero/serverr.log

Regards,
Øivind

Re: [aerogear-dev] Long delay from first to last push message received on iOS devices

Matthias Wessendorf
Hallo Øivind,

I started looking at this, I noticed that a message (that's one or more device/message pairs) have been rejected by APNs. This causes a NPE.

I have a few suggestions, would you mind resending the push, but start the WildFly server with a different system property? Can you pass the "aerogear.ios.batchSize", like:
-Daerogear.ios.batchSize=2000

For example (not sure how exactly you boot WF):
./bin/standalone.sh -b 0.0.0.0 --server-config=standalone-full.xml -Daerogear.ios.batchSize=2000

The "-Daerogear.ios.batchSize=2000" shrinks the size of the tokens, per batch to 2k (10k is default).

I am interested in if this helps.

BTW. to address the NPE, I have proposed a fix: