[aerogear-dev] Let's change the AeroGear Twitter account handle

12

[aerogear-dev] Let's change the AeroGear Twitter account handle

Hylke Bons
"@AeroGears" can cause confusion about what the project name really is.

Options to fix:
- Ask the owner of @AeroGear if he or she want to give up the handle
- Change the handle to "@AeroGearTeam" or "@AeroGearProject", or
something else

Thoughts?

Hylke

Re: [aerogear-dev] Let's change the AeroGear Twitter account handle

Matthias Wessendorf

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:
"@AeroGears" can cause confusion about what the project name really is.

All the JUGs I presented at, and some conferences call the project already "AeroGears", due to the tiwtter handle :-)

Options to fix:
- Ask the owner of @AeroGear if he or she want to give up the handle

are we also offering 50k ? :)

- Change the handle to "@AeroGearTeam" or "@AeroGearProject", or
something else

I think the 'concern' was that the name is too long, but on the other hand, there is some sort of confusion w/ our actual name :-0

If I had to pick one out of those that you suggested it would be 'AeroGearTeam', that's exactly just three chars longer than the current :)

-M

Thoughts?

Hylke

Re: [aerogear-dev] Let's change the AeroGear Twitter account handle

Hylke Bons
You are right that it may be a bit long for replies.
"@AGTeam" or "@AGProject" could work too (if they weren't already taken but something amongst those line :).

Hylke

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are right that it may be a bit long for replies.
"@AGTeam" or "@AGProject" could work too (if they weren't already taken but something amongst those line :).

not sure if AGTeam/Project is really 'cool'

[...]

Luke Holmquist

On Jan 30, 2014, at 7:33 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are right that it may be a bit long for replies.
"@AGTeam" or "@AGProject" could work too (if they weren't already taken but something amongst those line :).

not sure if AGTeam/Project is really 'cool'

yea,  if i was just a random person on twitter and saw "AGTeam", i'd be like WhoTF is that

On 30/01/2014 13:37, Lucas Holmquist wrote:

On Jan 30, 2014, at 7:33 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are right that it may be a bit long for replies.
"@AGTeam" or "@AGProject" could work too (if they weren't already taken but something amongst those line :).

not sure if AGTeam/Project is really 'cool'

yea,  if i was just a random person on twitter and saw "AGTeam", i'd be like WhoTF is that

Well, it's just a handle. Real names are shown in tweets too nowadays. It's better to have something that's a bit less related than something that is confusing. *team, *project and *tweets are pretty much convention too and people will figure out the name.

[...]

Sebastien Blanc
Another radical solution will be just to change the project name , it's huge but we are still young ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le Jan 30, 2014 à 20:44, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Bruno Oliveira
-10000 ℉

I don’t get what’s the problem, that was already decided. I can’t see any strong argument to change the name.

--
abstractj

On January 30, 2014 at 3:09:24 PM, Sébastien Blanc ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Another radical solution will be just to change the project
> name , it's huge but we are still young ...
>
> Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: [aerogear-dev] Let's change the AeroGear Twitter account handle

Hylke Bons
I've compiled a list of handles that are less problematic and available.
From short to long:

@_AeroGear_
@AeroGearOrg
@AeroGearTeam
@AeroGearNews
@JBossAeroGear
@AeroGearMobile
@AeroGearTweets

Hylke

On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:44 AM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've compiled a list of handles that are less problematic and available.
Seriously though,  is this really problematic?

From short to long:

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:44 AM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've compiled a list of handles that are less problematic and available.
Seriously though,  is this really problematic?

Not sure if it is problematic, but since we use @AerogearS, 90% of the folks think that is the actual name of the project :-)

From short to long:

On 03/02/2014 13:52, Lucas Holmquist wrote:

On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:44 AM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've compiled a list of handles that are less problematic and available.
Seriously though,  is this really problematic?

According to Matthew: "All the JUGs I presented at, and some conferences call the project already "AeroGears", due to the tiwtter handle :-)"

I also saw you mentioning the wrong account: https://twitter.com/sienaluke/status/428541775163035651
If we're having trouble with it, others will have too.

So yes, I believe it is, and it's a trivial change.

Hylke

From short to long:

[...]

Jay Balunas

On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:56 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:44 AM, Hylke Bons <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've compiled a list of handles that are less problematic and available.
Seriously though,  is this really problematic?

Not sure if it is problematic, but since we use @AerogearS, 90% of the folks think that is the actual name of the project :-)

I would tend to agree here as well.  I've run into this myself with others not sure what the name is.  If we went with @AeroGearTeam it is clear what the diffs are and its only 3 characters more.

I'd like to close the loop on this discussion one way or another.

My vote is that we change the twitter handle to "@AeroGearTeam" with a very close secondary choice of "@AeroGearOrg"

From short to long:

blog: http://matthiaswessendorf.wordpress.com/
sessions: http://www.slideshare.net/mwessendorf
twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

**If** we're really forced to change, I'd go with @aerogear_project

@__aerogear or @_aerogear ?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still can't see what the real value added on it. Everyone knows that there's a team behind it, so I can't see why "_team", also do we plan to create handles for "AeroGearPush", "AeroGearSecurity"...if yes,

not sure on all these twitter handles. I'd vote -1 on all these accounts

that makes sense. And "_project", well we know,

_project or _team - I think both is fine. I never really thought too much about it (team vs. project).

it's a project, the "s" on @aerogears always gave to me the sense of a bunch of people behind this to make it happen.

I think the "real problem" is folks think "AeroGears" is the name of the project

Wednesday I gave an AeroGear presentation. Due to the twitter handle of @AeroGears, two of those that asked questions, actually called the project AeroGears :))))
And that's what I have noticed before, which is, I think, the reason why Hylke brought it up.

Unfortunately @AeroGear is taken, but I do think that @AeroGears is misleading - in terms of the name.

However, your "@aerogears always gave to me the sense of a bunch of people behind this to make it happen." is a good thought! Which is believe leads towards _team, right?

Again I never really interpreted too much into the meaning of the twitter handle, besides the fact that folks do not really get our name.

Greetings,
Matthias

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, @aerogear_project makes sense (see @netty_project)

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
@__aerogear or @_aerogear ?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Douglas Campos <[hidden email]> wrote:
**If** we're really forced to change, I'd go with @aerogear_project

Re: [aerogear-dev] Let's change the AeroGear Twitter account handle

Hylke Bons

On 20/02/2014 22:17, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
 it's a project, the "s" on @aerogears always gave to me the sense of a bunch of people behind this to make it happen.

In that case "@AeroGearers" might have the same effect whilst clashing with the project name? :)

Hylke