[aerogear-dev] [JAX-RS] generation of endpoint documentation ?

[aerogear-dev] [JAX-RS] generation of endpoint documentation ?

looking at [1] and I am wondering if there is a tool that generated
'human readable' description of restful endpoints
(e.g. out of the jaxrs @nnotations + provided javadoc).

Or is the only option really Web Application Description Language
(WADL), see [2] and [3].

Thx!
Matthias

[1] https://github.com/aerogear/as-quickstarts/blob/master/kitchensink-html5-mobile/SERVICES.md
[2] http://www.w3.org/Submission/wadl/
[3] http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jaxrs-services-description.html

Re: [aerogear-dev] [JAX-RS] generation of endpoint documentation ?

Bruno Oliveira
WADL reminds me of SOAP times :) I would rather to go with an alternative like this https://github.com/rails/activeresource

Unfortunately I only know Javadoc and WADL. We try to find an alternative to generate REST endpoints documentation.

Let me know what do you think and feel free to add a task for me on M6, if you want  :)

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

Hi,

looking at [1] and I am wondering if there is a tool that generated
'human readable' description of restful endpoints
(e.g. out of the jaxrs @nnotations + provided javadoc).

Or is the only option really Web Application Description Language
(WADL), see [2] and [3].

Thx!

Re: [aerogear-dev] [JAX-RS] generation of endpoint documentation ?

Matthias Wessendorf
There is something w/in JBoss JAX-RS tools (got some pointers via twitter).

E.g. this was generated out of it (mostly)

It basically uses this:

and some maven fu ... :-)

-M

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
WADL reminds me of SOAP times :) I would rather to go with an alternative like this https://github.com/rails/activeresource

Unfortunately I only know Javadoc and WADL. We try to find an alternative to generate REST endpoints documentation.

Let me know what do you think and feel free to add a task for me on M6, if you want  :)

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

Hi,

looking at [1] and I am wondering if there is a tool that generated
'human readable' description of restful endpoints
(e.g. out of the jaxrs @nnotations + provided javadoc).

Or is the only option really Web Application Description Language
(WADL), see [2] and [3].

Thx!

Re: [aerogear-dev] [JAX-RS] generation of endpoint documentation ?

Matthias Wessendorf
thx for sharing,

looks awesome!

-M

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One more documentation tool for RESTful endpoints:
>
> http://swagger.wordnik.com/
>

> --
> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> -
> @abstractj
> -
> Volenti Nihil Difficile
>
> On Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
>
> Nice! We don't need to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Go for it!
>

> --
> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> -
> @abstractj
> -
> Volenti Nihil Difficile
>
> On Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>
> There is something w/in JBoss JAX-RS tools (got some pointers via twitter).
>
> E.g. this was generated out of it (mostly)
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/JBoss_Operations_Network/3.1/html/Rest_API/index.html
>
> It basically uses this:
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/rhq/rhq.git/tree/modules/helpers/rest-docs-generator
>
> and some maven fu ... :-)
>
> -M
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> WADL reminds me of SOAP times :) I would rather to go with an alternative
> like this https://github.com/rails/activeresource
>
> Unfortunately I only know Javadoc and WADL. We try to find an alternative to
> generate REST endpoints documentation.
>
> Let me know what do you think and feel free to add a task for me on M6, if
> you want  :)
>
> --
> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> -
> @abstractj
> -
> Volenti Nihil Difficile
>
> On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> looking at [1] and I am wondering if there is a tool that generated
> 'human readable' description of restful endpoints
> (e.g. out of the jaxrs @nnotations + provided javadoc).
>
> Or is the only option really Web Application Description Language
> (WADL), see [2] and [3].
>
> Thx!
> Matthias
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/aerogear/as-quickstarts/blob/master/kitchensink-html5-mobile/SERVICES.md
> [2] http://www.w3.org/Submission/wadl/
> [3] http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jaxrs-services-description.html

Re: [aerogear-dev] [JAX-RS] generation of endpoint documentation ?

Matthias Wessendorf
Interesting.....

looked at their JAX-RS example:

https://github.com/wordnik/swagger-core/blob/master/samples/java-jaxrs/src/main/java/com/wordnik/swagger/sample/resource/PetStoreResource.java

and noticed @ApiOperation annotation, which I saw inside of the
RedHat/JBoss code as well.
(didn't bother with the packages at that time)

Now... looking at the actual annotation, I see that Heiko ([1]) is
contributing to it :)

So, yes - let's take a look at swagger for documenting our APIs!!

-M

[1] https://github.com/pilhuhn