[aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

[aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

for this years GSoC, I think it would be interesting to have students evaluate some ideas.

For Push Server:
* Apache HBase database model for UPS + migration of data from SQL (MySQL/Postgres) to HBase
* Apache Kafka for centralized messaging in UPS
* Apache Spark for realtime processing of our push metrics

Some of the above ideas are already capture in this larger/raw JIRA:

For Jenkins-Digger:
* Windows containerized Docker builds

Any other thoughts ?

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

Ali Ok
Hi Matthias,

Being a GSoC student myself 6 years ago, I am super interested in being a mentor. However, I am out of ideas since the thing I am interested, Jenkins-Digger, is just starting and it is hard to come up with student ideas.

After spending a lot of time thinking about it and reading JIRA tickets [1] for inspiration, the only thing I can come up with is client libraries for Jenkins-Digger in many different languages and platforms like Golang, Python, Ruby etc.

While this idea might be OK, it might be a little bit too easy. GSoC FAQ page says [2] "30+ hours a week working on your project during the 3 month coding period".
What do you think?

Windows containerized Docker builds
BTW, this is a simple and brilliant idea.

Cheers

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

for this years GSoC, I think it would be interesting to have students evaluate some ideas.

For Push Server:
* Apache HBase database model for UPS + migration of data from SQL (MySQL/Postgres) to HBase
* Apache Kafka for centralized messaging in UPS
* Apache Spark for realtime processing of our push metrics

Some of the above ideas are already capture in this larger/raw JIRA:

For Jenkins-Digger:
* Windows containerized Docker builds

Any other thoughts ?

[aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

Matthias Wessendorf
How about integration of Digger-Jenkins with Eclipse Che?

docker run eclipse/che start :-)

On Friday, 13 January 2017, Ali Ok <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;aliok@redhat.com&#39;);" target="_blank">aliok@...> wrote:
[...]

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

Matthias Wessendorf
launching it, I saw there is Android support:

So, that builds the app already, but perhaps still not a bad idea to hook to AeroGear Digger-Jenkins, and that way one could leverage full Jenkins CI/CD from Che; Not sure... worth to explore!

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

Wojciech Trocki
I have some ideas for the digger jenkins, but some of them may be too much specific for the students and in some cases they may be just boring.
I think it's best to allow students to perform some experiments with build pipelines.

For example:
- adding automatic tests to pipelines using emulator etc.
- adding automatic app store distribution to Android and IOS
- playing around with fastlane (for example making screenshots of the app during the build)
- building pipeline helpers in form of DSL language
- extending build pipelines by adding support for mobile plugins (more jenkins than digger jenkins, but we can still benefit from this one)

Basically no limitations here as students may have their fav build tools etc.
This would allow us to see how easy is to build pipelines and if digger jenkins would work with this custom requirements without changes.
No specific digger knowledge would be required and entire process may be quite enjoyable for the students interested in mobile apps development.
We can use them later as inspiration and share as pipeline examples.
I can provide more info how we can organize this and how it will span across 3 months of work.

> How about integration of Digger-Jenkins with Eclipse Che?
The way I see it, is that Jenkins can listen to changes in git repository.
Commit from che would trigger build on the Jenkins.

Regards

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Software Engineer, Red Hat Mobile

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Wojciech Trocki <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have some ideas for the digger jenkins, but some of them may be too much specific for the students and in some cases they may be just boring.
I think it's best to allow students to perform some experiments with build pipelines.

For example:
- adding automatic tests to pipelines using emulator etc.
I think this has potential (automation for emulators / real devices). PErhaps as an addon to Arquillian (there were some tool (or at least ideas) about mobile there)

- adding automatic app store distribution to Android and IOS
- playing around with fastlane (for example making screenshots of the app during the build)
- building pipeline helpers in form of DSL language
- extending build pipelines by adding support for mobile plugins (more jenkins than digger jenkins, but we can still benefit from this one)

I think these are all very different things, making it hard to have a good proposal. Sounds more like "fix our random things" :-)

Basically no limitations here as students may have their fav build tools etc.
This would allow us to see how easy is to build pipelines and if digger jenkins would work with this custom requirements without changes.
No specific digger knowledge would be required and entire process may be quite enjoyable for the students interested in mobile apps development.
We can use them later as inspiration and share as pipeline examples.
I can provide more info how we can organize this and how it will span across 3 months of work.

> How about integration of Digger-Jenkins with Eclipse Che?
The way I see it, is that Jenkins can listen to changes in git repository.
Commit from che would trigger build on the Jenkins.

Right, that's CI
I was wondering if we could do a better integration/extension. E.g. from your idea, trigger a build, and have the option to have the extension download the APK (and launch to connected device/emulator).
just some thoughts

[...]

Anuj Garg
Hi Matthias,

I was looking over this thread and saw very cool convo going and got tempted to jump in.

I liked idea for
> E.g. from your idea, trigger a build, and have the option to have the

extension download the APK (and launch to connected device/emulator).

Limitation is that eclipse che will be just on browser and we can not run shell command from browser.
So finally we will need an app on client system, to which android device is connected.

Here I came up with 2 ways to achieve this :
  1. if master or slave jenkin system have the connected android device then we can trigger to install app on those devices.
  2. we can make app/script for client to use in addition of using che from browser. When user click on link to deploy app,
    the script will receive intent and script will install app to android device with help of adb.

(However these 2 ways still expect that either ADB is previously installed on system on packaged in plugin)

At present I could come up with only limited possibilities. Working on to find what else can be done.

Regards

Anuj Garg

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

Ali Ok
For example:
- adding automatic tests to pipelines using emulator etc.
- adding automatic app store distribution to Android and IOS
- playing around with fastlane (for example making screenshots of the app during the build)
- building pipeline helpers in form of DSL language
- extending build pipelines by adding support for mobile plugins (more jenkins than digger jenkins, but we can still benefit from this one)
A student is expected to start working on May 30th and finish on August 29th. Some of these are probably will be done by the time we have a student to work on them since they're pretty connected and similar to what we have in JIRA.

Just my 2 cents.

On Monday, 16 January 2017, Ali Ok <[hidden email]> wrote:
For example:
- adding automatic tests to pipelines using emulator etc.
- adding automatic app store distribution to Android and IOS
- playing around with fastlane (for example making screenshots of the app during the build)
- building pipeline helpers in form of DSL language
- extending build pipelines by adding support for mobile plugins (more jenkins than digger jenkins, but we can still benefit from this one)
A student is expected to start working on May 30th and finish on August 29th. Some of these are probably will be done by the time we have a student to work on them since they're pretty connected and similar to what we have in JIRA.

Just my 2 cents.

yeah, it should be something RnD, not on our own (short term) agenda

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Anuj Garg <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;anujgargcse@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">anujgargcse@...> wrote:
Hi Matthias,

I was looking over this thread and saw very cool convo going and got tempted to jump in.

I liked idea for
> E.g. from your idea, trigger a build, and have the option to have the

extension download the APK (and launch to connected device/emulator).

Limitation is that eclipse che will be just on browser and we can not run shell command from browser.
So finally we will need an app on client system, to which android device is connected.

Here I came up with 2 ways to achieve this :
  1. if master or slave jenkin system have the connected android device then we can trigger to install app on those devices.
  2. we can make app/script for client to use in addition of using che from browser. When user click on link to deploy app,
    the script will receive intent and script will install app to android device with help of adb.

(However these 2 ways still expect that either ADB is previously installed on system on packaged in plugin)

At present I could come up with only limited possibilities. Working on to find what else can be done.

Regards

Anuj Garg

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

Matthias Wessendorf
Another idea could be  "Develop WebPush Android SDK extension"