Quantcast

[aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2016

[aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2016

for GSoC 2016 we have not discussed our participation on this subject. I'd like to get a new and modern version of AeroDoc in.

Here is some text that I came up with:

<snip>
AeroDoc Demo case for Unified Push Server

Write a new versions of the different components for our successful AeroDoc example, which you can see here

Backend/Server microservice component
* remove picket link based auth with Keycloak for pure OAuth2 login
* convert the server to WildFly Swarm fat JARs, to run AeroDoc as a Microservice, in a scalable mode.
** Features like WildFly's Ribbon layer (from Netflix OSS) could be used
* Rewrite the UI, using Angular2 and make it look nicer :)
* Use latest of Hibernate's Geo library for Geolocation based push notifications
IMO it could be done as a complete rewrite.

iOS app update:
* port the application to Swift and use our Keycloak library for OAuth2

Android app update
* port app to latest Android APIs and use our Keycloak library for OAuth2

New Windows version of the App
* would be nice to have

New feature:
* Silent notifications:
Introduce the usage of silent notification (no alert) to ping the application. The app wakes up, and performs a HTTP background check against the backend, to check for new Leads (for the AeroDoc Sales guys). Based on the HTTP response of the call, done in the background, local notifications are issued and presented to the user. This includes fine grain update of badge icon on iOS, and similar techniques on Android.

</snip>

I think the above would make a good exercise of a student, interested in mobile app development, that also deals with an interesting use-case (Geolocation, OAuth2 and Push), as well as backend interaction.

Any thoughts?

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2016

Corinne Krych
@Matt I've submitted a proposal around Watch SDK as I've recently being reached by a student still interested by this 2015 subject.
So here is the abstract:

WatchKit SDK for AeroGear/FeedHenry

Summary of idea:

Bring the features of AeroGear/FeedHenry libs to the  Watch:

- push notification

- geofencing

- oauth2: send a tweet from your wrist…

Provide an extension to the existing AeroGear sdks to make them Apple Watch fit. Focus on high quality sdks also include work on how to unit test (mocking…) your app.

Knowledge prerequisite: iOS8/9, Swift

Skill level: Medium

Associated project(s): AeroGear, FeedHenry, Keycloak

++

Corinne

On 25 February 2016 at 12:04, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jay Balunas
Both a really good suggestions, and would be very interested if they worked out!

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Heiko W.Rupp
On 25 Feb 2016, at 14:24, Jay Balunas wrote:

> Both a really good suggestions, and would be very interested if they
> worked
> out!

Put them on
https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/JBossCommunityGoogleSummerOfCode2016Ideas
Tuesday we will know if JBoss has been accepted and then Students will
flood us :)

@Heiko I've done it already and students are already reaching me ;)

On 25 Feb 2016, at 15:22, Corinne Krych wrote:

> @Heiko I've done it already and students are already reaching me ;)

Great!.
Mobile is really popular. I also had around 5 students interested
in improving the Hawkular-Android client.

Merci Corinne

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2016

Corinne, can you route them to here?
The idea of open source is not just developing code, also to understand the more important community aspect of it.
I haven't seen any notice of a student here for that particular project. Right now, I'd never give a positive vote, as community > code

-M

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Corinne Krych <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Heiko I've done it already and students are already reaching me ;)

On 25 February 2016 at 14:40, Heiko W.Rupp <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25 Feb 2016, at 14:24, Jay Balunas wrote:

> Both a really good suggestions, and would be very interested if they
> worked
> out!

Put them on
https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/JBossCommunityGoogleSummerOfCode2016Ideas
Tuesday we will know if JBoss has been accepted and then Students will
flood us :)

Re: [aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2016

Jay Balunas
I think using AeroGear dev is appropriate for this, but we should also make sure the linked doc from Heiko is updates.

Perhaps a link in those entries to this mailing list would be a good idea?