[aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Luke Holmquist
So after looking at the Global stats for browsers( desktop ), it looks like IE 9 is below 4%

I think we need to consider dropping this support.  I've been +9001 from the beginning but now that it is this low,  i'm +9002

on this same topic,  what % should we be looking at when thinking about dropping support for other platforms, like android and iOS

link to the stats:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version_partially_combined-ww-monthly-201212-201312

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Matthias Wessendorf

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
So after looking at the Global stats for browsers( desktop ), it looks like IE 9 is below 4%

+1 on dropping that;

off topic: This would also help us regarding PouchDB, right ? I think I recall there was something working only IE 10+

I think we need to consider dropping this support.  I've been +9001 from the beginning but now that it is this low,  i'm +9002

on this same topic,  what % should we be looking at when thinking about dropping support for other platforms, like android and iOS

+1

link to the stats:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version_partially_combined-ww-monthly-201212-201312

thx for sharing

On 01/07/2014 11:32 AM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
> So after looking at the Global stats for browsers( desktop ), it looks like IE 9 is below 4%
>
> I think we need to consider dropping this support.  I've been +9001 from the beginning but now that it is this low,  i'm +9002
>

> on this same topic,  what % should we be looking at when thinking about dropping support for other platforms, like android and iOS
>
> link to the stats:
> http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version_partially_combined-ww-monthly-201212-201312

Wrt Android, when we can drop Gingerbread and still support 85% of
Android devices we should put dropping Gingerbread on our roadmap.

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

cvasilak
according to stats iOS 7 is soon to become king (78%) but my view is that it makes sense to target iOS 6 and iOS 7 in this “conversion” period (it won’t take long though as apple history taught us)

-
Christos

[1] http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/31/ios-7-now-installed-on-78-of-active-apple-handheld-devices

On Jan 7, 2014, at 6:45 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/07/2014 11:32 AM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
>> So after looking at the Global stats for browsers( desktop ), it looks like IE 9 is below 4%
>>
>> I think we need to consider dropping this support.  I've been +9001 from the beginning but now that it is this low,  i'm +9002
>>

>> on this same topic,  what % should we be looking at when thinking about dropping support for other platforms, like android and iOS
>>
>> link to the stats:
>> http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version_partially_combined-ww-monthly-201212-201312
>
> Wrt Android, when we can drop Gingerbread and still support 85% of
> Android devices we should put dropping Gingerbread on our roadmap.

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Erik Jan de Wit

> on this same topic,  what % should we be looking at when thinking about dropping support for other platforms, like android and iOS

Don’t think we should have a hard (written in stone) rule, but try and to be pragmatic about what we support.

Because if 10% would be the limit for browsers we could drop IE support all together ;)

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Luke Holmquist
following up from the team meeting, here is the current link to our Browser targets

when this was created,  i think it was very early on in the project.

the desktop browsers are probably ok at this point, ( i would like to remove IE9, though ).

Mobile Browsers i think can be revamped a little,  Mobile Safari should probably be 6 and 7

we can probably add in Chrome for Android and FireFox for Android

WRT the other platforms, i think there is a JIRA to create a Matrix

On Jan 8, 2014, at 5:28 AM, Erik Jan de Wit <[hidden email]> wrote:

on this same topic,  what % should we be looking at when thinking about dropping support for other platforms, like android and iOS

Don’t think we should have a hard (written in stone) rule, but try and to be pragmatic about what we support.

Because if 10% would be the limit for browsers we could drop IE support all together ;)

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Karel Piwko
Given Crypto API is not supported on Android pre 4.0 -
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGJS-132, is this right time to drop Android
2.3.3, 3.x stock web browsers?

Or do you want to keep AGJS partially supported on Android 2.3, 3.x?

Thanks,

Karel

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:39:02 -0500

On Jan 28, 2014, at 9:40 AM, Karel Piwko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given Crypto API is not supported on Android pre 4.0 -
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGJS-132, is this right time to drop Android
> 2.3.3, 3.x stock web browsers?
>
> Or do you want to keep AGJS partially supported on Android 2.3, 3.x?
Most everything works except that crypto bit,  i'd hate to say no support at all,   i'm not really sure what the stats are for 2.3

> Thanks,
>
> Karel
>
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:39:02 -0500
> Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> following up from the team meeting, here is the current link to our Browser
>> targets
>>
>> http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/AeroGearBrowserTargets/
>>
>> when this was created,  i think it was very early on in the project.
>>
>> the desktop browsers are probably ok at this point, ( i would like to remove
>> IE9, though ).
>>
>> Mobile Browsers i think can be revamped a little,  Mobile Safari should
>> probably be 6 and 7
>>
>> we can probably add in Chrome for Android and FireFox for Android
>>

>> WRT the other platforms, i think there is a JIRA to create a Matrix

>>> Don’t think we should have a hard (written in stone) rule, but try and to
>>> be pragmatic about what we support.
>>>
>>> Because if 10% would be the limit for browsers we could drop IE support all
>>> together ;) _______________________________________________

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Bruno Oliveira
The crypto bit will fallback to sjcl implementation as far as I know (not safe) once the entropy doesn’t come from WebCrypto, but that works, as far as I know.

--
abstractj

On January 28, 2014 at 12:48:03 PM, Lucas Holmquist ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Most everything works except that crypto bit, i'd hate to say
> no support at all, i'm not really sure what the stats are for 2.3

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Karel Piwko
Commented in jira. I guess that we need to get rid of typed arrays so we can
test the fallback is indeed working. If that means a serious performance
bottleneck, maybe that could be solved by some polyfill approach.

Karel

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:21:36 -0200
Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The crypto bit will fallback to sjcl implementation as far as I know (not
> safe) once the entropy doesn’t come from WebCrypto, but that works, as far as
> I know.
>
> --
> abstractj
>
> On January 28, 2014 at 12:48:03 PM, Lucas Holmquist ([hidden email])
> wrote:
> > > Most everything works except that crypto bit, i'd hate to say
> > no support at all, i'm not really sure what the stats are for 2.3

Re: [aerogear-dev] Browser Targets

Jay Balunas

On Jan 20, 2014, at 11:39 AM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

following up from the team meeting, here is the current link to our Browser targets

when this was created,  i think it was very early on in the project.

Agreed, even the title is browser specific, and should be changed to something like "AeroGear Support Matrix" or something like that.

the desktop browsers are probably ok at this point, ( i would like to remove IE9, though ).

+1 on dropping IE9

Mobile Browsers i think can be revamped a little,  Mobile Safari should probably be 6 and 7

we can probably add in Chrome for Android and FireFox for Android

Perhaps this could be listed as "should" work?  at least for now?

WRT the other platforms, i think there is a JIRA to create a Matrix

+1 on getting this matrix decided and posted.  It will help us and QE know what needs to be tested.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 02:28:39PM -0500, Jay Balunas wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2014, at 11:39 AM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > following up from the team meeting, here is the current link to our Browser targets
> >
> > http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/AeroGearBrowserTargets/
> >
> > when this was created,  i think it was very early on in the project.
>
> Agreed, even the title is browser specific, and should be changed to
> something like "AeroGear Support Matrix" or something like that.

+1

> > the desktop browsers are probably ok at this point, ( i would like
> > to remove IE9, though ).
>
> +1 on dropping IE9

yay!