[aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Bruno Oliveira
Morning guys, I was talking with Matthias this morning about our authentication endpoints, he brought up a important concern.

Currently we have:

/auth/register, /auth/login, /auth/logout. The problem here is about 'register', a reserved word in some programming languages like Objective C.

Alternatives:

- Change 'register', to 'registration'
- Change the endpoints to signin, signout, signup.

Wdyt? Suggestions?

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Matthias Wessendorf
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Morning guys, I was talking with Matthias this morning about our
> authentication endpoints, he brought up a important concern.
>
> Currently we have:
>
> /auth/register, /auth/login, /auth/logout. The problem here is about
> 'register', a reserved word in some programming languages like Objective C.

the endpoint URLs are not an issue (just a URL).

But I can't name an iOS/ObjC function 'register'

-M

> Alternatives:
>
> - Change 'register', to 'registration'
> - Change the endpoints to signin, signout, signup.
>

> Wdyt? Suggestions?
>

> --
> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> -
> @abstractj
> -
> Volenti Nihil Difficile

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Luke Holmquist
even though the URL doesn't matter, we should probably keep the function and endpoint the same, just for consistency and simplicity for the application dev.

and they should be consistent across the lib's so if someone who used aerogear.js decides to become an iOS programmer and uses Aerogear.dmg(or whatever it's called), then they already know the api

-luke

On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:25 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Morning guys, I was talking with Matthias this morning about our
>> authentication endpoints, he brought up a important concern.
>>
>> Currently we have:
>>
>> /auth/register, /auth/login, /auth/logout. The problem here is about
>> 'register', a reserved word in some programming languages like Objective C.
>
> the endpoint URLs are not an issue (just a URL).
>
> But I can't name an iOS/ObjC function 'register'
>
> -M
>

>> Alternatives:
>>
>> - Change 'register', to 'registration'
>> - Change the endpoints to signin, signout, signup.
>>

>> Wdyt? Suggestions?
>>

>> --
>> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
>> -
>> @abstractj
>> -
>> Volenti Nihil Difficile

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Kris Borchers

On Oct 4, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> even though the URL doesn't matter, we should probably keep the function and endpoint the same, just for consistency and simplicity for the application dev.

I don't agree. In JS, the endpoint is completely configurable so it doesn't matter. The user could have the method register() point at /LOOOOOOOOOOOL/BOOM if they wanted to so I don't think the method names need to match the endpoints.

> and they should be consistent across the lib's so if someone who used aerogear.js decides to become an iOS programmer and uses Aerogear.dmg(or whatever it's called), then they already know the api

I do agree however that what ever we decide, we should try to be consistent in our method naming across libs.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> even though the URL doesn't matter, we should probably keep the function and endpoint the same, just for consistency and simplicity for the application dev.

you can override that in all the libs, I guess (at least in JS and ObjC)

> and they should be consistent across the lib's so if someone who used aerogear.js decides to become an iOS programmer and uses Aerogear.dmg(or whatever it's called), then they already know the api

yeah - that's always been the goal

On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Kris Borchers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> even though the URL doesn't matter, we should probably keep the function and endpoint the same, just for consistency and simplicity for the application dev.
>
> I don't agree. In JS, the endpoint is completely configurable so it doesn't matter. The user could have the method register() point at /LOOOOOOOOOOOL/BOOM if they wanted to so I don't think the method names need to match the endpoints.

Thats true,  brain fart

>> and they should be consistent across the lib's so if someone who used aerogear.js decides to become an iOS programmer and uses Aerogear.dmg(or whatever it's called), then they already know the api
>
> I do agree however that what ever we decide, we should try to be consistent in our method naming across libs.
>

>> -luke

>>> the endpoint URLs are not an issue (just a URL).
>>>
>>> But I can't name an iOS/ObjC function 'register'
>>>
>>> -M

>>> --
>>> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Matthias Wessendorf
I guess the question is still, do we want to rename the default endpoint names ?
/auth/signup
/auth/signin
/auth/signout

I guess that's why Bruno sent the email (regardless if the API has
hooks to override or not)

-M

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Kris Borchers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 4, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> even though the URL doesn't matter, we should probably keep the function and endpoint the same, just for consistency and simplicity for the application dev.
>>
>> I don't agree. In JS, the endpoint is completely configurable so it doesn't matter. The user could have the method register() point at /LOOOOOOOOOOOL/BOOM if they wanted to so I don't think the method names need to match the endpoints.
>>

> Thats true,  brain fart
>

>>> and they should be consistent across the lib's so if someone who used aerogear.js decides to become an iOS programmer and uses Aerogear.dmg(or whatever it's called), then they already know the api
>>
>> I do agree however that what ever we decide, we should try to be consistent in our method naming across libs.
>>

>>> -luke

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Kris Borchers
I would vote no since IMO login and logout are more common. I would be ok with renaming register to signup I guess, but don't see the need.

On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess the question is still, do we want to rename the default endpoint names ?
> /auth/signup
> /auth/signin
> /auth/signout
>

> I guess that's why Bruno sent the email (regardless if the API has
> hooks to override or not)
>
> -M
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Lucas Holmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I don't agree. In JS, the endpoint is completely configurable so it doesn't matter. The user could have the method register() point at /LOOOOOOOOOOOL/BOOM if they wanted to so I don't think the method names need to match the endpoints.
>>>

>> Thats true,  brain fart

>>> I do agree however that what ever we decide, we should try to be consistent in our method naming across libs.

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Marko Strukelj

I'm afraid signin / signup are so similar that some percentage of users will mix them up, or is that mix them in :)

- marko

> I would vote no since IMO login and logout are more common. I would
> be ok with renaming register to signup I guess, but don't see the
> need.
>
> On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I guess the question is still, do we want to rename the default
> > endpoint names ?
> > /auth/signup
> > /auth/signin
> > /auth/signout
> >

> > I guess that's why Bruno sent the email (regardless if the API has
> > hooks to override or not)
> >
> > -M
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Lucas Holmquist
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Thats true,  brain fart

> > --
> > Matthias Wessendorf

> > sessions: http://www.slideshare.net/mwessendorf
> > twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Let's just rename 'register' to 'registration'. I'd like to rename to AUTH/BOOOOOOOOM, but people could complain.

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Kris Borchers wrote:

[...]

Thats true, brain fart

[...]

Glen Daniels
On 10/4/12 1:51 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Let's just rename 'register' to 'registration'. I'd like to rename to
> AUTH/BOOOOOOOOM, but people could complain.

:)

FWIW, I like "signup" better than "registration", since it's also an
imperative rather than a noun.

--Glen

On Oct 4, 2012, at 3:14 PM, Kris Borchers wrote:

> OK, how about this … we change the method name to enroll and can either leave the endpoint as register or change to enroll as well if we want. That will fix the iOS issue and still make sense.
+1 to enroll on the method
-0 to changing the endpoint

> Any thoughts?
>
> On Oct 4, 2012, at 12:59 PM, Kris Borchers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't understan why we're still considering changing the name of the endpoint since it has no bearing on the method name.
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2012, at 12:51 PM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's just rename 'register' to 'registration'. I'd like to rename to AUTH/BOOOOOOOOM, but people could complain.
>>>

>>> --
>>> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
>>> -
>>> @abstractj
>>> -
>>> Volenti Nihil Difficile

-- qmx

Re: [aerogear-dev] Authentication endpoints

Matthias Wessendorf
+1 to enroll method name

let's keep the endpoints

-Matthias