[aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

[aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

Summers Pittman
So good news,

Topic support for GCM is trivial to implement.  In fact after 20 minutes I have most of the work done in the Android library.  The behavior of topics matches the behavior of categories.  I would like to propose some enhancements.

1) Changing categories/topics currently requires the application to unregister and reregister on UPS.  I would like to add a subscribe and unsubscibe method to the pushRegistrar interface which will subscribe and unsubscribe the device from topics.

2) All Message listeners receive messages from all topics the device is subscribed to.  I would like to extend registrar manager to be able to attach messages handlers per topic as well as globally.

This are both simple, easy changes which shouldn't be a lot of work and will really improve the push experience in Agdroid 3.0.

wdyt?

Summers

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

sorry for the late response ;-)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:
So good news,

Topic support for GCM is trivial to implement.  In fact after 20 minutes I have most of the work done in the Android library.  The behavior of topics matches the behavior of categories.  I would like to propose some enhancements.

yay

1) Changing categories/topics currently requires the application to unregister and reregister on UPS.  I would like to add a subscribe and unsubscibe method to the pushRegistrar interface which will subscribe and unsubscribe the device from topics.

Ok, makes sense. Actually I like the idea. Should this be done on the other SDKs too? If so... does it make sense to change the RESTful endpoint to? e.g. do a PUT to update the device metadata?

I recall we kinda had this talk before. See: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-1399

2) All Message listeners receive messages from all topics the device is subscribed to.  I would like to extend registrar manager to be able to attach messages handlers per topic as well as globally.

Due to the nature of the Android layer around GCM 3, this is specific to Android only, right ?

+1 on this. Same reasoning like Erik Jan here :)

This are both simple, easy changes which shouldn't be a lot of work and will really improve the push experience in Agdroid 3.0.

wdyt?

bring it on :)

Summers

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

Summers Pittman

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
sorry for the late response ;-)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:
So good news,

Topic support for GCM is trivial to implement.  In fact after 20 minutes I have most of the work done in the Android library.  The behavior of topics matches the behavior of categories.  I would like to propose some enhancements.

yay

1) Changing categories/topics currently requires the application to unregister and reregister on UPS.  I would like to add a subscribe and unsubscibe method to the pushRegistrar interface which will subscribe and unsubscribe the device from topics.

Ok, makes sense. Actually I like the idea. Should this be done on the other SDKs too? If so... does it make sense to change the RESTful endpoint to? e.g. do a PUT to update the device metadata?

So strictly speaking we don't need to have GCM 3 Android register its categories with UPS.  Google can handle those.

How are we handling compatibility? Would it be weird if 1.2 of UPS requires ADroid push 3.0?

I recall we kinda had this talk before. See: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-1399

2) All Message listeners receive messages from all topics the device is subscribed to.  I would like to extend registrar manager to be able to attach messages handlers per topic as well as globally.

Due to the nature of the Android layer around GCM 3, this is specific to Android only, right ?
I don't know enough about iOS, sorry :(

+1 on this. Same reasoning like Erik Jan here :)

This are both simple, easy changes which shouldn't be a lot of work and will really improve the push experience in Agdroid 3.0.

wdyt?

bring it on :)

Summers

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

Matthias Wessendorf

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

yeah, but we need the info on the UPS for a bunch of reasons... (e.g. only 1m devices per topic allowed).
I think this is very easy to translate to our existing categories...

How are we handling compatibility?

What do you mean here?

Would it be weird if 1.2 of UPS requires ADroid push 3.0?

Well, I do not think this is a problem. the 1.1.0 also requires AGDroid2, due to analytic support.
Let's release note it, and be good. I think

I recall we kinda had this talk before. See: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-1399

2) All Message listeners receive messages from all topics the device is subscribed to.  I would like to extend registrar manager to be able to attach messages handlers per topic as well as globally.

Due to the nature of the Android layer around GCM 3, this is specific to Android only, right ?
I don't know enough about iOS, sorry :(

Ok, let me ask different: This is something done only on GCM3's topics, right ?

+1 on this. Same reasoning like Erik Jan here :)

This are both simple, easy changes which shouldn't be a lot of work and will really improve the push experience in Agdroid 3.0.

wdyt?

bring it on :)

Summers

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

Corinne Krych

On 27 July 2015 at 09:46, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yep it's GCM3 specific.
There is an iOS client to bring GCM / APN
Not sure if it's worth investigating further the iOS side of GCM3 topics as this feature seems to me very close to our UPS categories, which we already have implemented ahead of time.

+1 on this. Same reasoning like Erik Jan here :)

This are both simple, easy changes which shouldn't be a lot of work and will really improve the push experience in Agdroid 3.0.

wdyt?

bring it on :)

Summers

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

Matthias Wessendorf

On Monday, July 27, 2015, Corinne Krych <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 27 July 2015 at 09:46, Matthias Wessendorf <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;matzew@apache.org&#39;);" target="_blank">matzew@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Summers Pittman <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;supittma@redhat.com&#39;);" target="_blank">supittma@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;matzew@apache.org&#39;);" target="_blank">matzew@...> wrote:
sorry for the late response ;-)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Summers Pittman <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;supittma@redhat.com&#39;);" target="_blank">supittma@...> wrote:
[...]

perhaps for iOS we can send the info which category was used. And on the client it might be nice to have same: listener per topic/category?

But on iOS at the same time this might just add extra complexity, since there are less decent APIs to stick the finger deep into the notification delivery... hrm..

There is an iOS client to bring GCM / APN
Not sure if it's worth investigating further the iOS side of GCM3 topics as this feature seems to me very close to our UPS categories, which we already have implemented ahead of time.

I am also not sure if we should use GCM for iOS, atm, but more do to the fact that iOS on UPS than would need both: GCM and APNs setup...

Technically our categories are indeed close to their topics. The real benefit regarding topics is: You send just one small request to GCM and it figures out the effected devices. For categories we do that ourselves, and we end up sending a bunch of larger requests to GCM

IMO using GCM topics for Android will give us a boost for message delivery! However, Google mentions some latency for Topics on their doc, but my guess is they will be pretty fast.

+1 on this. Same reasoning like Erik Jan here :)

This are both simple, easy changes which shouldn't be a lot of work and will really improve the push experience in Agdroid 3.0.

wdyt?

bring it on :)

Summers

Sent from Gmail Mobile