Quantcast

[aerogear-dev] Android Push: Firebase Cloud Messaging

[aerogear-dev] Android Push: Firebase Cloud Messaging

Wednesday at Google IO, Google did announce the availability of Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), which deprecates Google Cloud Messaging (GCM).

Here is a quite from the GCM documentation website:

Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) is the new version of GCM. It inherits the reliable and scalable GCM infrastructure, plus new features! See the FAQ to learn more. If you are integrating messaging in a new app, start with FCM. GCM users are strongly recommended to upgrade to FCM, in order to benefit from new FCM features today and in the future.
<<

At the core FCM is basically the same as GCM-3 (e.g. topic support), but there are some changes especially in the client SDKs. I've created a few JIRAs to scope the body of work, needed to deliver FCM support on our SDKs, as well keeping our server and documentation in sync with the latest offering: https://issues.jboss.org/issues/?filter=12327296

Greetings,

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android Push: Firebase Cloud Messaging

Matthias Wessendorf
To share a bit of an update here, summers was working hard on adding FCM to the AG Push library; Version 4.0.0 will be out soon:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/pull/62

Our helloworld app was patched too, and works fine:

The good news is, the server-side, does not need a change, this was tested with UPS 1.1.3 (which supports GCM-3).

However, a 1.1.4, will be out soon, including Oleg's patch here:

Next is update the Corodova lib for FCM push, which will use the eventually released aerogear-android-push:4.0.0 lib

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
To share a bit of an update here, summers was working hard on adding FCM to the AG Push library; Version 4.0.0 will be out soon:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/pull/62

Our helloworld app was patched too, and works fine:

The good news is, the server-side, does not need a change, this was tested with UPS 1.1.3 (which supports GCM-3).

However, a 1.1.4, will be out soon, including Oleg's patch here:

Next is update the Corodova lib for FCM push, which will use the eventually released aerogear-android-push:4.0.0 lib

I am now actually wondering, where to put the google-service.json file on Cordova (no I am not updating our plugin), but I have no clue what is matching the native 'app' folder in Crodova land, is it WWW foldeR?

hrm...

[...]

Erik Jan de Wit

I am now actually wondering, where to put the google-service.json file on Cordova (no I am not updating our plugin), but I have no clue what is matching the native 'app' folder in Crodova land, is it WWW foldeR?

hrm...

There is no native folder on a cordova project, but we can put something in the plugin.xml that will install / copy it into the native project:

<resource-file src="src/android/google-services.json" target="google-services.json" />

Don't know what the content is of this file seems the https://github.com/jboss-mobile/unified-push-helloworld/pull/31 demo doesn't have this google-services.json

       Erik Jan

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Erik Jan de Wit <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am now actually wondering, where to put the google-service.json file on Cordova (no I am not updating our plugin), but I have no clue what is matching the native 'app' folder in Crodova land, is it WWW foldeR?

hrm...

There is no native folder on a cordova project, but we can put something in the plugin.xml that will install / copy it into the native project:

<resource-file src="src/android/google-services.json" target="google-services.json" />

ah! that could work

Don't know what the content is of this file seems the https://github.com/jboss-mobile/unified-push-helloworld/pull/31 demo doesn't have this google-services.json

yes, that's correct. It's up to the developer to actually put the file into that "/app" folder.

Would this work on Cordova too ?

       Erik Jan

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android Push: Firebase Cloud Messaging

Erik Jan de Wit

Don't know what the content is of this file seems the https://github.com/jboss-mobile/unified-push-helloworld/pull/31 demo doesn't have this google-services.json

yes, that's correct. It's up to the developer to actually put the file into that "/app" folder.

Would this work on Cordova too ?

So the content would be app specific? Could you give an example? We can put some dynamic stuff into the plugin, but it's kinda limited. I hope we can do without having cordova devs worry about the platform folder.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Erik Jan de Wit <[hidden email]> wrote:

Don't know what the content is of this file seems the https://github.com/jboss-mobile/unified-push-helloworld/pull/31 demo doesn't have this google-services.json

yes, that's correct. It's up to the developer to actually put the file into that "/app" folder.

Would this work on Cordova too ?

So the content would be app specific? Could you give an example?

yes, that's right. You download that form the Firebase console, specific for your Firebase project. It contains severval things, including the project number and also the server-side key (the one that we also enter in UPS)

We can put some dynamic stuff into the plugin, but it's kinda limited.

Could we do some 'magic' to make the plugin check that if the target is Android, it requires the JSON file 'somewhere'?
If present, the plugin would put the file into the app folder, if possible :)

I hope we can do without having cordova devs worry about the platform folder.

I can see that fear, I am not really sure, all I know is that for native this needs to go into the app folder. I am not sure if there is a chance to launche FCM w/o that file and the google plugin.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Erik Jan de Wit <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am now actually wondering, where to put the google-service.json file on Cordova (no I am not updating our plugin), but I have no clue what is matching the native 'app' folder in Crodova land, is it WWW foldeR?

hrm...

There is no native folder on a cordova project, but we can put something in the plugin.xml that will install / copy it into the native project:

<resource-file src="src/android/google-services.json" target="google-services.json" />

Don't know what the content is of this file seems the https://github.com/jboss-mobile/unified-push-helloworld/pull/31 demo doesn't have this google-services.json

Correct.  The documentation is being updated to cover the fact the developer needs to add the file.  If the file is not present the developer gets a useful error message in his/her log when registration fails.  If the file is present but incorrect (as say a stubbed file) then then developer gets a less useful message.  We chose to leave it out because it is more clear what the problem is, and a quick google search for "google-services.json" takes the user exactly where they need to go.

       Erik Jan

Re: [aerogear-dev] Android Push: Firebase Cloud Messaging

Julio Cesar Sanchez Hernandez
I don't think that file is really needed, the phonegap-plugin-push (https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugin-push) doesn't use it and push notifications work without it. The Sender ID is set on plugin install passing it as a variable. Not sure what other values are included on the google-services.json

I forked the phonegap plugin to add FCM support and it works too without the google-services.json file too.

[...]

Summers Pittman

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Julio Cesar Sanchez Hernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think that file is really needed, the phonegap-plugin-push (https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugin-push) doesn't use it and push notifications work without it. The Sender ID is set on plugin install passing it as a variable. Not sure what other values are included on the google-services.json

This plugin isn't using Firebase.  We didn't need google-services.json for GCM3.

I forked the phonegap plugin to add FCM support and it works too without the google-services.json file too.

Sauce?

Firebase requires two variables, the application id and the sender id.  Fortunately the senderId is embedded in the applicationId.

As you can see I've just overloaded the SenderId.

[...]

My fork is here

I didn't add the .json and I'm receiving push notifications

Last time I read the GCM docs they were already talking about that .json (I think it was on February or March), it's not a new thing on FCM.