[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

Daniel Passos-2
We have found a bug[1] in the AeroGear Android Push 0.1. It was fixed and the new version (0.1.1) was already sent to nexus[2].

We'd like to ship it to Maven central next wednesday.

Re: [aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

Sebastien Blanc
Hi !
I just gave it a test with the Push HelloWorld :

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-627 is fixed , I'm getting a nice error notification on the device

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-214 -> I'm getting exactly the same issue as Matzew , looks like the redirect is not working.

Sebi

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have found a bug[1] in the AeroGear Android Push 0.1. It was fixed and the new version (0.1.1) was already sent to nexus[2].

We'd like to ship it to Maven central next wednesday.

Re: [aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

Daniel Passos-2
Talking with Summers about what is the best options to solved that, we have some options:

1) Catch the 302 and handle it inside of the rest provider. [1]

2) We can fix the IOException which is being thrown, throw the HttpException correctly, and in the registrar check for 30x and then rerun the operation [2]

3) We let the HttpException escape to the callback handler

We don't like the option 1, because increases complexity in the HttpRestProvider class and it hides the 30x messages from the developers should they want to handle them.  Furthermore, Summers argues that since the registration code is being called often it would be better for the developer to be aware of them and have to handle them in her code instead of ours.  In short, if there are redirects then the developer should be made aware so she can update her URL and make fewer HTTP requests (this is important on mobile for battery life, data caps, etc).

So, wdyt?

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi !
I just gave it a test with the Push HelloWorld :

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-627 is fixed , I'm getting a nice error notification on the device

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-214 -> I'm getting exactly the same issue as Matzew , looks like the redirect is not working.

Sebi

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have found a bug[1] in the AeroGear Android Push 0.1. It was fixed and the new version (0.1.1) was already sent to nexus[2].

We'd like to ship it to Maven central next wednesday.

Re: [aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

Matthias Wessendorf

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Talking with Summers about what is the best options to solved that, we have some options:

1) Catch the 302 and handle it inside of the rest provider. [1]

2) We can fix the IOException which is being thrown, throw the HttpException correctly, and in the registrar check for 30x and then rerun the operation [2]

yes!

+ add a (fatal/warning) log message

3) We let the HttpException escape to the callback handler

We don't like the option 1, because increases complexity in the HttpRestProvider class and it hides the 30x messages from the developers should they want to handle them.  Furthermore, Summers argues that since the registration code is being called often it would be better for the developer to be aware of them and have to handle them in her code instead of ours.

sure, but IMO a 30x should be respected. Let's add a warning, so their logcat tells them when they are testing

[...]

Option 2 sounds like a plan to me

On 2014-05-06, Daniel Passos wrote:

> Talking with Summers about what is the best options to solved that, we have
> some options:
>
> 1) Catch the 302 and handle it inside of the rest provider. [1]
>
> 2) We can fix the IOException which is being thrown, throw the
> HttpException correctly, and in the registrar check for 30x and then rerun
> the operation [2]
>
> 3) We let the HttpException escape to the callback handler
>
> We don't like the option 1, because increases complexity in the
> HttpRestProvider class and it hides the 30x messages from the developers
> should they want to handle them.  Furthermore, Summers argues that since
> the registration code is being called often it would be better for the
> developer to be aware of them and have to handle them in her code instead
> of ours.  In short, if there are redirects then the developer should be
> made aware so she can update her URL and make fewer HTTP requests (this is
> important on mobile for battery life, data caps, etc).
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/impl/http/HttpRestProvider.java#L256
> [2]
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/impl/unifiedpush/AeroGearGCMPushRegistrar.java#L139-L144
>
> So, wdyt?
>

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi !
> > I just gave it a test with the Push HelloWorld :
> >
> > - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-627 is fixed , I'm getting a
> > nice error notification on the device
> >
> > - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-214 -> I'm getting exactly the
> > same issue as Matzew , looks like the redirect is not working.
> >
> > Sebi
> >

> > On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> We have found a bug[1] in the AeroGear Android Push 0.1. It was fixed and
> >> the new version (0.1.1) was already sent to nexus[2].
> >>
> >> We'd like to ship it to Maven central next wednesday.
> >>
> >> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-214
> >> [2]
> >> http://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/jboss_releases_staging_profile-3139/

abstractj

Re: [aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

Summers Pittman
On Tue 06 May 2014 10:42:10 AM EDT, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Option 2 sounds like a plan to me

Sweet.

RestProvider throws httpexception (status:302)
Registrar catches it and logs a warning.
Retries with new location.
if OK then onSuccess
else then onError.

IE We will only follow ONE redirect.

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue 06 May 2014 10:42:10 AM EDT, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Option 2 sounds like a plan to me

Sweet.

RestProvider throws httpexception (status:302)
Registrar catches it and logs a warning.
Retries with new location.
if OK then onSuccess
else then onError.

IE We will only follow ONE redirect.

yes :) no need to join a redirect party

> On 2014-05-06, Daniel Passos wrote:
>> Talking with Summers about what is the best options to solved that, we have
>> some options:
>>
>> 1) Catch the 302 and handle it inside of the rest provider. [1]
>>
>> 2) We can fix the IOException which is being thrown, throw the
>> HttpException correctly, and in the registrar check for 30x and then rerun
>> the operation [2]
>>
>> 3) We let the HttpException escape to the callback handler
>>
>> We don't like the option 1, because increases complexity in the
>> HttpRestProvider class and it hides the 30x messages from the developers
>> should they want to handle them.  Furthermore, Summers argues that since
>> the registration code is being called often it would be better for the
>> developer to be aware of them and have to handle them in her code instead
>> of ours.  In short, if there are redirects then the developer should be
>> made aware so she can update her URL and make fewer HTTP requests (this is
>> important on mobile for battery life, data caps, etc).
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/impl/http/HttpRestProvider.java#L256
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/impl/unifiedpush/AeroGearGCMPushRegistrar.java#L139-L144
>>
>> So, wdyt?
>>

>> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi !
>>> I just gave it a test with the Push HelloWorld :
>>>
>>> - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-627 is fixed , I'm getting a
>>> nice error notification on the device
>>>
>>> - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-214 -> I'm getting exactly the
>>> same issue as Matzew , looks like the redirect is not working.
>>>
>>> Sebi

> abstractj

>>Phone:404 941 4698
>>Java is my crack.

Re: [aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

Matthias Wessendorf
regarding the version # - I'd prefer to bump up to 0.2.0

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 10:59:21PM +0200, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> regarding the version # - I'd prefer to bump up to 0.2.0

On what reasoning? It feels like a patch release to me.