[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android 3.0 - Roadmap

[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android 3.0 - Roadmap

Daniel Passos

Hey Guys,

As you know Summers and I started work on AGDroid 3.0. Today we revisited what we want to this release. I hope you enjoy it

GOALS

  • Remove Java 6 support
  • Move to $LATEST android-maven-plugin
  • GCM 3.0 + Push Tasks
  • Extra convenience tooling
  • Memeolist demo app
  • Update docs
  • oAuth2 improvements
  • Experimental Offline Module
  • Experimental Yubikey Neo support

Aerogear Android Push

  • GCM 3.0
    • Instance ID
      • This is a new lifecycle for keeping the registration ID in sync
      • Using new services and broadcast receivers or providing equavalent support
  • XMPP
    • Using XMPP messaging for receiving messages and sending analytics updates
    • May be basis for more robust client side diagnostics and/or eventual messaging APIs

AeroGear Android plugin (new)

  • Previously we shot this idea down because it adds work on developer which isn’t standard
  • Google is moving to including more plugins in Gradle so that isn’t a concern
  • Goals
    • Linting push and authz
      • Confirm services in manifest
      • Confirm appropriate licecycle on Message Listeners
    • Annotation Processing
      • Automate boring lifecycle tasks around Push (attaching/detaching listeners from activity)
    • Manifest processing
      • Inject Required services for push and authz if libraries are present
      • Automatically configure these services with values from keycloak.json and push-service.json

AeroGear Android Cookbook

  • Memeolist Demo App
    • Show off Material design skills
    • Show off integration with other Red Hat/JBoss technologies
    • Increase profile of AeroGear inside of Red Hat
    • Dogfooding

AeroGear Android Pipe

  • Logging support
  • Easier injection of HTTPProviders
  • Document adding custom headers under pipe

AeroGear Android Store

  • Decide between
    • Async operation
    • Content Provider
      • With the plugin we could also engage in automatic contract object generation
      • For an example of what I am thinking see Contracts and ContentProvider

AeroGear Android Offline

  • Cache : Configurable storage mechanism
    • Location : Where the CaceItem will be stored
      • Memory : in Memory store.
      • OnDevice : the internal permanent storage of the device
      • Media : removable media based storage. SD Cards, USB Sticks, etc
    • Eviction Policy : How long CacheItems can stay around
      • Permanent : Cache items must be removed manually
      • LRU : When the cache is full the least recently accessed will be removed
      • Fifo : The oldest object in the cache will be removed.
    • Size : The max number of items a cache may hold.
    • Age : The max age of any item

AeroGear Android Authz

  • Revisit oAuth2 opened jiras

AeroGear Android Security

PS: Jiras are comming soon

Re: [aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android 3.0 - Roadmap

Summers Pittman

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

PPS Feel free to yell at us with thoughts, ideas, comments, etc.

Re: [aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android 3.0 - Roadmap

Matthias Wessendorf
This looks like a lot of items for a 3.0.0 - this feels more like a roadmap for a 3.x.

Why not break it down ? E.g. given the fact that for push, it would be nice to have GCM_3 in early, so, that could be released w/o "waiting" for stuff like offline, or store related work

-Matthias

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Daniel Passos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Guys,

As you know Summers and I started work on AGDroid 3.0. Today we revisited what we want to this release. I hope you enjoy it

GOALS

  • Remove Java 6 support
  • Move to $LATEST android-maven-plugin
  • GCM 3.0 + Push Tasks
  • Extra convenience tooling
  • Memeolist demo app
  • Update docs
  • oAuth2 improvements
  • Experimental Offline Module
  • Experimental Yubikey Neo support

Aerogear Android Push

  • GCM 3.0
    • Instance ID
      • This is a new lifecycle for keeping the registration ID in sync
      • Using new services and broadcast receivers or providing equavalent support

What about Topics ? I'd like to see our SDK mapping the categories to GCM topics

  • XMPP
    • Using XMPP messaging for receiving messages and sending analytics updates
for sending analytic updates? To the UPS? I would not think that the push server needs (for analytics) to expose XMPP

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Oh right, those got left off this email but are scheduled in JIRA.

  • XMPP
    • Using XMPP messaging for receiving messages and sending analytics updates
for sending analytic updates? To the UPS? I would not think that the push server needs (for analytics) to expose XMPP
Expose no.  It just needs to connect to Google's XMPP messaging services.

we had an old demo implementation with the sync-server.  I can dig up those old bits of code if you would like.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
This looks like a lot of items for a 3.0.0 - this feels more like a roadmap for a 3.x.

Why not break it down ? E.g. given the fact that for push, it would be nice to have GCM_3 in early, so, that could be released w/o "waiting" for stuff like offline, or store related work
Keep in mind that AGDroid is not a monolithic project any more.  There is no reason that -push 3.0.0 and -store 3.0.0 have to be released at the same time (other than dependency mgmt).
But yes this is very ambitious.

ok - I was just wondering since it said _and_ :-)

we had an old demo implementation with the sync-server.  I can dig up those old bits of code if you would like.

nah - we can revisit that once needed

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
This looks like a lot of items for a 3.0.0 - this feels more like a roadmap for a 3.x.

Why not break it down ? E.g. given the fact that for push, it would be nice to have GCM_3 in early, so, that could be released w/o "waiting" for stuff like offline, or store related work
Keep in mind that AGDroid is not a monolithic project any more.  There is no reason that -push 3.0.0 and -store 3.0.0 have to be released at the same time (other than dependency mgmt).

true, and getting -push-3.0.0 (and -core-3.0.0 + -pipe-3.0.0) out, does also not mean a few weeks later there is just a 3.1.0 that for instance contains the above discussed PIPE changes/features

-M

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
This looks like a lot of items for a 3.0.0 - this feels more like a roadmap for a 3.x.

Why not break it down ? E.g. given the fact that for push, it would be nice to have GCM_3 in early, so, that could be released w/o "waiting" for stuff like offline, or store related work
Keep in mind that AGDroid is not a monolithic project any more.  There is no reason that -push 3.0.0 and -store 3.0.0 have to be released at the same time (other than dependency mgmt).

true, and getting -push-3.0.0 (and -core-3.0.0 + -pipe-3.0.0) out, does also not mean a few weeks later there is just a 3.1.0 that for instance contains the above discussed PIPE changes/features

True.

So with dropping JDK 6[Done], moving to JUnit 4[Done], updating to android-maven-plugin 4.3.0[Done], the GCM updates [in progress], doc updates [JIRA'd] and probably a couple of small fixes here and there (pipe and store bugs that should be easy to accomplish) we have enough to put into a 3.0.0 by September's UPS 1.2.0.

I guess what I am saying is I do agree there is no reason this can't been seen as a 3.x roadmap as well.

-M

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

\o/

I guess what I am saying is I do agree there is no reason this can't been seen as a 3.x roadmap as well.

fair point! :)

Thanks for the infos

-M