[aerogear-dev] AGPUSH-1075 / Automatic DB Migrations

[aerogear-dev] AGPUSH-1075 / Automatic DB Migrations

Howdy!

I was looking at Erik's PR[1] and was wondering about the implications
of automatic DB migrations during app startup. I've got a lot of burns
from this in the past, including:

- DDL statements being disabled in production
- Massive lock on a DB during an accidental restart which triggered the
        changes to happen
- failed migration which ended up with the app having a model mismatch.

I love migrations, I'm just throwing this here to make sure we're aware
of the potential problems that incur with us running them automagically
during app startup.

Erik pointed out this shouldn't be a problem for openshift-like
deployments, but what about the "enterprise" side of the house?

Thoughts?

[1]:https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/448

Re: [aerogear-dev] AGPUSH-1075 / Automatic DB Migrations

Bruno Oliveira
Fair enough. I think it should be optional which makes me think about a
configuration page for UPS.

On 2014-12-01, Douglas Campos wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> I was looking at Erik's PR[1] and was wondering about the implications
> of automatic DB migrations during app startup. I've got a lot of burns
> from this in the past, including:
>
> - DDL statements being disabled in production
> - Massive lock on a DB during an accidental restart which triggered the
> changes to happen
> - failed migration which ended up with the app having a model mismatch.
>
> I love migrations, I'm just throwing this here to make sure we're aware
> of the potential problems that incur with us running them automagically
> during app startup.
>
> Erik pointed out this shouldn't be a problem for openshift-like
> deployments, but what about the "enterprise" side of the house?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [1]:https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/448
>
> --
> qmx

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914

Re: [aerogear-dev] AGPUSH-1075 / Automatic DB Migrations

Matthias Wessendorf
FYI,

Erik Jan's PR has been canceled. He agrees with qmx.

On 2014-12-01, Douglas Campos wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I was looking at Erik's PR[1] and was wondering about the implications
> of automatic DB migrations during app startup. I've got a lot of burns
> from this in the past, including:
>
> - DDL statements being disabled in production
> - Massive lock on a DB during an accidental restart which triggered the
>       changes to happen
> - failed migration which ended up with the app having a model mismatch.
>
> I love migrations, I'm just throwing this here to make sure we're aware
> of the potential problems that incur with us running them automagically
> during app startup.
>
> Erik pointed out this shouldn't be a problem for openshift-like
> deployments, but what about the "enterprise" side of the house?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [1]:https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/448
>
> --
> qmx